Will OSX read my Windows NTFS external harddrive?

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Next week my very first iMac (27 inch, 5K) will be delivered to my front door... and I'm wondering, will I be able to copy the backup data that I created on my Windows NTFS external harddrive, to my new iMac harddrive?
I have absolutely no experience with OSX yet, so I'm kinda in the wild in the area I guess.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Next week my very first iMac (27 inch, 5K) will be delivered to my front door... and I'm wondering, will I be able to copy the backup data that I created on my Windows NTFS external harddrive, to my new iMac harddrive?
I have absolutely no experience with OSX yet, so I'm kinda in the wild in the area I guess.

OS X will read NTFS partitions natively, but you cannot write to them using OS X. You will need a third party utility (Paragon or Tuxera). I have also heard of this, but never used it:

Write to NTFS in Mac OS X Yosemite using Free Utilities - TechEntice

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess...
- My idea would be, to extract the NTFS backup on my external harddrive, and copy it to my OSX harddrive... would that work, and would it than be fully functional within OSX??

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess...
- My idea would be, to extract the NTFS backup on my external harddrive, and copy it to my OSX harddrive... would that work, and would it than be fully functional within OSX??

Again, you cannot write to an NTFS partition with native OS X. But everything else should be fully functional.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Oops, sorry... I forgot to mention, that I would like to extract the NTFS backup on my external harddrive, and copy it to my OSX harddrive.
But from that point on, use AirPort to create the new backups.

- If I extract the NTFS backup from my original external harddrive to my new OSX harddrive, would all the files be fully acessible (read/write) WITHIN OSX??
The new backups from that point onwards, will be made to AirPort.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Oops, sorry... I forgot to mention, that I would like to extract the NTFS backup on my external harddrive, and copy it to my OSX harddrive.
But from that point on, use AirPort to create the new backups.

- If I extract the NTFS backup from my original external harddrive to my new OSX harddrive, would all the files be fully acessible (read/write) WITHIN OSX??
The new backups from that point onwards, will be made to AirPort.

Yes, with everything on the OS X hard drive, you should be good to go. Can't think of a reason it wouldn't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2