Hi everyone, looking to purchase a Retina 5k soon and I am on the fence between the Fusion Drive or an SSD. My budget may not allow me to get more than a 512GB SSD but I can always get a Thunderbolt external if I need more later.

I plan to begin developing software for iOS in the future and I wondered if anyone knew if the additional speed the SSD gives would be noticed when developing. Probably not as much while coding but would compiling applications with a FD be more time consuming?

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone.
    03-27-2015 04:49 PM
    It will be plenty speedy with either drive during compile and build. Yes the SSD will be faster but the Fusion drive will be fine.
    03-27-2015 05:58 PM
    Thanks for the information, so do you feel that the money for the SSD could be put to better use on upgrading the CPU and RAM? I am pretty certain I'll be ordering at least 16GB of RAM, I haven't settled on the processor yet
    03-27-2015 09:56 PM
    In my opinion I will never get any PC or Mac again without an SSD. It's so fast. I've heard about issues with fusion. Can't remember exactly what but SSD is the way to go. Just replaced two in my work laptop and PC.
    03-27-2015 10:09 PM
    In my opinion I will never get any PC or Mac again without an SSD. It's so fast. I've heard about issues with fusion. Can't remember exactly what but SSD is the way to go. Just replaced two in my work laptop and PC.
    Ultimately I would like the SSD option, but that might come down to budget. I did read AnandTech's article on the month with a fusion drive. It does seem like a decent balance between the speed of SSD and price/GB of an HDD. Aside from reliability it seems the price is the largest determining factor.

Are you saying the FD would be more prone to reliability problems in day to day use? I've had good experiences with long term reliability of Apple HDDs in the past.
    03-27-2015 11:06 PM
    I honestly don't know. I read an article a while back and they were saying to just stick with the SSD. Ill see if I can find it.
    03-27-2015 11:13 PM
    I would prioritize options as follows: 1) 16GB RAM, 2) SSD, 3) processor.
    03-28-2015 03:11 AM