iPad or MacBook Air after purchasing iMac

Skeledan

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I got iMac for the house/family. I need another device for traveling and for an online masters program. Which one should I get ipad or Mac book air. I handle a lot of PDF and word documents for writing reports and school work. What do you recommend ? Which of these product will some one get after purchasing iMac

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Go for what you need. Only you can decide what fits your needs and wants in a device.

That being said, from what you listed, I'd go with the MBA. Personally, I wouldn't want to read PDFs and do some word processing for reports on an iPad. Sure, you can get an external keyboard for it, but I'd be more comfortable doing that on a "Desktop" interface.

Once again though, get what you think will fit you best! :)

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Darren for offering your feedback. I will for for MBA it not a question of which one 11 or 13 inch

I would choose the 13". It doesn't feel "mini" and the screen and keyboard will feel more comfortable, me thinks.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

localhost8080

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a macbook air and also an ipad mini. I wouldnt recommend the ipad mini for doing actual work on though, for that you need real keys.

Sent from my VirtualBox using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a macbook air and also an ipad mini. I wouldnt recommend the ipad mini for doing actual work on though, for that you need real keys.

Sent from my VirtualBox using Tapatalk

You can get the iPad Mini and a nice Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and you'll have a great keyboard when you want it. How do I know? That's what I did.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You can get the iPad Mini and a nice Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and you'll have a great keyboard when you want it. How do I know? That's what I did.

While it might be able to be done, I wouldn't personally want to do any real work on an iPad, even with a keyboard. Maybe for some, it works, but not for me. That's what my laptops are for.

But, hey, we're all different, and that's what choices are for, right? :)

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to be doing a lot of writing, I strongly recommend a MacBook Air over an iPad. Here's why:

- Better flexibility with writing tools. More text editor and word processor options.
- Easier ability to copy and paste and switch between active applications. Better for research.
- A real keyboard with tactile response. If you're a touch typist, you'll be driven to distraction by typing on glass, because there's no keyfeel, no nubs to line up your home row fingers, etc.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love the iPads they're not not designed for word processing. The MacBook Air is a much better tool there me thinks. I keep seeing iPads used in different businesses for different things and it's just great that we have 'em but I'm not ready to give up my computer just yet.

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad air. If I could only get one between the MacBook and iPad if get the iPad and a keyboard. My friend has been using that setup as his "laptop" since his died in December. I love my MacBook, but I think that iPad setup gives you the best of all and saves you some cash. If you have the resources, get both!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods