New iMac?Buy?

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am very interested in getting the Surface Pro 2 with 256GB and 8GB RAM. I'm excited. But I also wanted a new iMac, and fortunately, the new ones were announced.

What I want is one that is powerful, but not super intense because I don't want to spend $5,000. I wanted the 1TB Fusion Drive, good nvidia graphics (for gaming, doesn't need to be #1), a good amount of RAM, and an i7. One question, how does Fusion work on Boot Camp? Because I heard it can only use the HDD part. Is there a program so I don't need to partition, and without making the computer not use its full power? Because I don't want to spend that much for Fusion, and using it on Windows is useless. If so, is the HDD drive slow, or is it still fast with the specs I have?

I really don't know what to do. I'm so overwhelmed. Please help.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am very interested in getting the Surface Pro 2 with 256GB and 8GB RAM. I'm excited. But I also wanted a new iMac, and fortunately, the new ones were announced.

What I want is one that is powerful, but not super intense because I don't want to spend $5,000. I wanted the 1TB Fusion Drive, good nvidia graphics (for gaming, doesn't need to be #1), a good amount of RAM, and an i7. One question, how does Fusion work on Boot Camp? Because I heard it can only use the HDD part. Is there a program so I don't need to partition, and without making the computer not use its full power? Because I don't want to spend that much for Fusion, and using it on Windows is useless. If so, is the HDD drive slow, or is it still fast with the specs I have?

I really don't know what to do. I'm so overwhelmed. Please help.

The new iMacs are definitely more powerful that even the most resent models. You would be hard pressed to spend $5,000 on one... the 27" model maxed out on specs with a 3.5TB fusion drive is still under $3,200.

I have no experience with Boot Camp. When I moved to OS X, I stopped using Windows, so no need (for me) to go there.

As far as "which iMac to buy?", I’d determine what I was comfortable spending on a computer, and then buy the most iMac that I could get for that price.

I did find this item on the Apple discussion forum that states, in fact, that it only uses the hard drive portion of the fusion drive. While you would lose the speed of the SSD, it would be no worse than what you have today on a non-SSD Windows machine.

Boot Camp 5: Frequently asked questions

Do computers that come with a Fusion Drive support Boot Camp?
Yes. Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition and install Boot Camp. The Windows partition will exist on the hard disk drive, not the Flash drive, and is not part of Fusion Drive Logical Volume Group. 3TB Fusion Drive configurations need to update to OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 or later to install Windows 8. See iMac (27-inch, Late 2012): Boot Camp alert with 3TB hard drive for more information.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner