1. toreroguysd's Avatar
    Hi folks,

    This humble and aspiring mac newbie was here a few days ago and everyone was very helpful with my question about the new v. refurbished iMac. As I go deeper into the research and decision-making I have another question.

    Resources being limited, I'm trying to decide what will be the best use of my money for an upgrade (assuming the base model new iMac). Should I pay $200 to bump my RAM from 8 to 16, or should I pay $250 to get the fusion drive?

    This computer will be mostly used by my wife for work. She will run Windows 7 through Parallels, and will be using MS Office and lots of proprietary work applications. Multitasking in the virtual machine will be significant. It is critical that the VM have zero lag and feel like a real-time Windows machine (32 or 64 bit?).

    I would greatly appreciate any feedback as to which upgrade would be better to address our key needs from this machine.

    Thanks everyone.
    01-28-2013 03:22 PM
  2. kch50428's Avatar
    I would spend the money on RAM myself...
    01-28-2013 03:24 PM
  3. jclisenby's Avatar
    I would get the fusion drive and then buy some RAM from a 3rd party to install yourself. You can replace ram for about $50-$75 bucks if you do it yourself.
    01-28-2013 09:45 PM
  4. warcraftWidow's Avatar
    If its the 21" iMac, get the memory because it is not user upgradable.

    If its the 27", go with the Fusion drive and upgrade the RAM yourself either now or later if you decide you need it.

    RAM will have more effect on running a VM than your hard drive speed (except maybe when starting the VM).
    Fausty82 likes this.
    01-29-2013 08:04 AM
  5. toreroguysd's Avatar
    I think this likely answers it if RAM has the largest impact on keeping the VM running real-time without lag. RAM it is, thanks everyone!
    02-01-2013 02:35 PM

Similar Threads

  1. ATT VIP accounts or early upgrades?
    By Jimbos Jumbos in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM
  3. Upgrade or not...
    By SHEDGES in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
  4. The ? is to upgrade or not???
    By ddclark94 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
  5. Upgrade or Not OS 3.0
    By Dazlin2 in forum iOS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM