Get a new Mac now or wait?

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I really need a lot of storage on my Mac. I don't care if it isn't flash storage, I need 500GB if I get a laptop or 1TB if I get a desktop. Should I get a new Mac now or wait for the next reign of macs? What I really need is the exact MacBook Pro that is out there (the one with the SuperDrive) but with retina display. I was thinking about getting the 13 MacBook Pro with retina display, but first off, there is too little storage and second, if I want more storage, I have to pay a shot load because it is flash storage.

Also, I want to put windows 8 on my Mac via bootcamp.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You keep mentioning the word, "need". If your "need" is urgent then, by all means, purchase a 13 -inch MacBook Pro now. You can go to Apple's website and configure one to your specs in regard to storage space. You can link to that site HERE.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I’m curious why you "need" a retina display? I’m only asking because it precludes you from getting a MBP with a conventional (mechanical) hard drive. As you say, the SSD devices can be pricey... Also, the retina model precludes you from getting a device with an internal optical drive. Apple does sell an external for $80, and any aftermarket CD/DVD drive will work, but it’s something extra to lug around with you.

As far as "when" to buy, this site is pretty good about tracking the age of current devices and shows historically how long Apple takes between refresh cycles for a given product.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

The current rumors seem to indicate more MacBooks will come with a retina display in the next release cycle, so everything could change - and not sure what that means for mechanical drives and optical drives... of course, those same rumors said the iMacs would have retina with the last refresh, which didn’t happen.

Good luck with your quest.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The 13" retina MBP doesn't offer more than 786GB flash storage. If that's all you need on a laptop - go for it. I don't understand why you would want/need more on a desktop than a laptop.

I have the non retina 13" MBP with a full TB hard drive. That was the primary reason I bought it.

But as JustMe'D said - go to the Apple site and see what works best for you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I too am confused by your need for such internal storage demands on either machine, especially with how portable and affordable external drives are these days in all shapes and sizes.

That said, the retina display MBP is a very expensive laptop for those who require internal storage, and it's also (in my opinion) a very quirky feature for a user who doesn't need the screen resolution the computer offers for any particular reason. The MBP without retina display is capable of housing a normal HDD and most hybrid SSD drives at the same time, creating a very high internal capacity rate at a much lower cost.

All Mac's have bootcamp, and in that, can run Windows 8 if that is your choice.

Looking at what you listed, it would seem pretty obvious that the non-retina Macbook Pro would be your best bet. As far as iMacs go, all of them are capable of the internal storage you want, so it would literally only come down to how much you had to spend and which screen size you wanted (as well as processing power and RAM.)

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too am confused by your need for such internal storage demands on either machine, especially with how portable and affordable external drives are these days in all shapes and sizes.

That said, the retina display MBP is a very expensive laptop for those who require internal storage, and it's also (in my opinion) a very quirky feature for a user who doesn't need the screen resolution the computer offers for any particular reason. The MBP without retina display is capable of housing a normal HDD and most hybrid SSD drives at the same time, creating a very high internal capacity rate at a much lower cost.

All Mac's have bootcamp, and in that, can run Windows 8 if that is your choice.

Looking at what you listed, it would seem pretty obvious that the non-retina Macbook Pro would be your best bet. As far as iMacs go, all of them are capable of the internal storage you want, so it would literally only come down to how much you had to spend and which screen size you wanted (as well as processing power and RAM.)

I know all macs have boot camp, but I need a lot of storage if I want to split up my hard drive.

Also, could I change how much storage goes where after?

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on what you want to do or install on the Bootcamp partition, you only need about 30gb I think. That's easy enough to accommodate even on an SSD.

But if you don't want an SSD due to cost than you cannot get a retina MacBook. I don't see Apple changing that and putting a retina screen on the regular MacBook that has the DVD drive because they are positioning the retina one as the premium device. And they are probably going to phase out including DVD drive altogether soon.

So I think you are going to have to choose between having the retina screen but paying a lot for the SSD or getting the non retina with a bigger standard hard drive.

Wish they made the MacBook Pro without the dvd drive and have retina display (like the current one), but with a HDD, SSD, or whatever processor that can get a lot of storage without paying a lot.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wish they made the MacBook Pro without the dvd drive and have retina display (like the current one), but with a HDD, SSD, or whatever processor that can get a lot of storage without paying a lot.

That’s not going to happen, sorry to say. Apple typically takes a technology and slowly rolls it across the product line. They did it with floppy drives - and the people went nuts, Then they started doing it with CD/DVD optical drives. Again, many people freaked. Now they’re doing it with mechanical drives... and retina displays.

As the cost of these technologies get (relatively) cheaper over time, Apple will continue to replace the existing components with these faster, physically smaller components. It’s just the evolutionary process of tech.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That?s not going to happen, sorry to say. Apple typically takes a technology and slowly rolls it across the product line. They did it with floppy drives - and the people went nuts, Then they started doing it with CD/DVD optical drives. Again, many people freaked. Now they?re doing it with mechanical drives... and retina displays.

As the cost of these technologies get (relatively) cheaper over time, Apple will continue to replace the existing components with these faster, physically smaller components. It?s just the evolutionary process of tech.

See, I don't care about the SuperDrive. Thanks though. Maybe a new imac refresh with the haswell processors?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought about getting rid if my 13" MacBook Pro for a 13" MacBook Pro retina but I'm still undecided.

Mine is fine but I would like the higher res screen. I was going to upgrade mine with 8 gb ram but thought I might just get the new one instead.

The only thing stopping me is 128gb of storage. Upgrading to the 256 is too pricey in my opinion. I feel as though 1400 is a decent deal for one brand new from amazon with my brother in laws discount.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought about getting rid if my 13" MacBook Pro for a 13" MacBook Pro retina but I'm still undecided.

Mine is fine but I would like the higher res screen. I was going to upgrade mine with 8 gb ram but thought I might just get the new one instead.

The only thing stopping me is 128gb of storage. Upgrading to the 256 is too pricey in my opinion. I feel as though 1400 is a decent deal for one brand new from amazon with my brother in laws discount.

I remember on the regular MacBooks pros before retina came out, they had that option to get an upgraded display (13 inch gets regular or high res glossy, 15 inch gets both of those plus high res anti glare). Do they still have that?? If they don't, can other websites can (I buy it, apple/best buy sets it up)?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh