Running the latest High Sierra on a 2017 iMac with a 1TB hard drive.

I have a 90-year-old user who wants me to convert an awful lot of VHS tapes (Music only, Music Videos, and Movies), cassette tapes, DVD's, and LP's (phonograph records) to his iMac, presumably all under convenient iTunes' control. It might be possible to squeeze it onto his hard drive but only if the movies are reduced to a 480 resolution, with the resulting degradation of quality -- in other words, it's out of the question.

I already received one negative answer, when I tried to rename the Music folder to something else, thereby making the current iTunes installation meaningless, hoping to reinstall iTunes onto his 4TB external drive. I found that you can't rename the Music folder.

I'm looking for help in either doing what I had in mind, or barring that, constructing iTunes so that the core iTunes system, staying on the hard drive, kept all its "data" on the external drive. If nothing like this is possible, I'd just have to have to forget about giving this gentleman the convenience of iTunes, and make it necessary for him to search for old-fashioned files in old fashioned folders.

Any help?
    07-03-2018 07:39 PM
    I own a very long library where I do not like to have my computer running out of storage what I did is to create consolidate and move my entire library to an external hard drive, then I replace the path from the location by dropping down in iTunes preferences > advanced then You can change the default path and it is done the only thing is that erternal drive must be connected not a problem for me, other ways it could be reinstallling other Mac OS version in the externals hard drive like to have two startups disk where You can have you entire library directly in the external hard drive
    07-03-2018 09:51 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I was happy to hear from someone who had solved this problem.

I prepared a rather long reply to you, but the forum gods rejected it as spam, saying that I should remove any links or references to money, neither of which I had. I'm working on getting it fixed, so please don't go away, because I'm really going to need your help.
    07-04-2018 03:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I was happy to hear from someone who had solved this problem.

I prepared a rather long reply to you, but the forum gods rejected it as spam, saying that I should remove any links or references to money, neither of which I had. I'm working on getting it fixed, so please don't go away, because I'm really going to need your help.
    07-04-2018 03:29 PM
    Well, in spite of the duplicate replies above, the "long reply" I prepared for you is no longer appropriate, because your tip on iTunes > preferences > advanced gave me the solution I needed. I was aware that this parameter was in the system, but I just couldn't remember where it was.

So my project is well underway with the library on the external drive and I'm happy.

Thank you so much!

Bud
    07-05-2018 01:18 PM
    I am glad this helped You apologize my English I am Spanish speaker
    07-05-2018 09:57 PM
    Yo tambien, pero muy, muy despacio! Son las setente anos desde que colegio.
    07-06-2018 01:55 AM
    Cool! Keep practicing
    07-06-2018 09:42 PM