Filepath for Documents folder?

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I have clicked the box for Documents and Desktop to be on iCloud Drive. I did not check the "Optimize Mac Storage". I should have a complete copy of all my files inside the "Documents" folder both on the hard drive in my Mac and on the iCloud Drive out there in space somewhere. My question: where is the Documents folder located on my Mac's hard drive? The finder shows a file path of "iCloud Drive>Documents" when I click on "Documents" in the iCloud section. I would think clicking on my computer's name in the "Locations" area, then my hard drive, then the appropriate user, would then eventually reveal a folder called "Documents" - but no joy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you click on “Finder”, you should see “iCloud Drive” on the left side of the screen and when you select it, you should see both the “Documents” folder and the “Desktop” folder.

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I thought that was the actual file path to the Document folder on the iCloud Drive. I should be able to see the Documents folder file path on my local hard drive. I would think there is access to see both file paths, the file path to the iCloud Drive and the file path to the local hard drive??

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
On my computer, the path didn’t change. It’s ~/Documents.
And I do have Optimize Storage enabled.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought that was the actual file path to the Document folder on the iCloud Drive. I should be able to see the Documents folder file path on my local hard drive. I would think there is access to see both file paths, the file path to the iCloud Drive and the file path to the local hard drive??

When I click on the my MacBook’s Hard Drive on the desktop screen, I see:

iCloud Drive
Documents
Desktop

If I select the iCloud Drive, I see both the Documents and Desktop folders as well as 3rd-party app folders. The contents of the Documents and Desktop folders are identical to those same folders listed separately above.

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
Similar but slightly different issue. The following screenshot shows a file path starting with my MacBook location. There is no "Documents" folder.
No Documents Folder copy.jpg

But, you see there are two "Macintosh HD" line items.

This second screenshot chooses the 2nd "Macintosh HD" line item, and it does eventually show the "Documents" folder (hooray, found the local folder). But, why does this "Macintosh HD" show as ejectable - is it indeed my hard drive?

Documents Folder but ejectable copy.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Similar but slightly different issue. The following screenshot shows a file path starting with my MacBook location. There is no "Documents" folder.
View attachment 128721

This second screenshot chooses the 2nd "Macintosh HD" line item, and it does eventually show the "Documents" folder (hooray, found the local folder). But, why does this "Macintosh HD" show as ejectable - is it indeed my hard drive?

View attachment 128722

While in that view, press COMMAND+SHIFT+. (Period key). You should then see the Desktop and Documents folders. They are hidden under your current setup.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 128722

This seems to be the “Macintosh HD” on “Philip’s iMac”. That wouldn’t be your local drive.

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
Thank-you Ed7789, things are starting to make more sense.

So, I did the command shift . and got the following. As you see the Documents folder is grayed out, making it non-accessible???? Is this supposed to be my local MacBook documents folder??

When I do an external hard drive back-up, it would be good to know which documents folder to copy. I'm thinking I should be copying the local folder. But, where exactly is it, and is it a accessible?

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 5.24.45 PM.png

Thanks,
Phil

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank-you Ed7789, things are starting to make more sense.

So, I did the command shift . and got the following. As you see the Documents folder is grayed out, making it non-accessible???? ...

View attachment 128727

Thanks,
Phil

The faded out folders are still accessible. They’re faded to indicate they are hidden.

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
So, now check out the file path at bottom of image - it shows a reasonable path for the "Downloads" folder.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 5.38.14 PM.png

But, when I click on the grayed out "Documents" folder, it indeed opens up (thank-you) but the file path at bottom of image changes to "iCloud Drive>Documents". I'm probably wearing you out, but it is a bit confusing.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 5.42.11 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 5.38.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 5.38.28 PM.png
    506.3 KB · Views: 0

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, now check out the file path at bottom of image - it shows a reasonable path for the "Downloads" folder.

View attachment 128728

But, when I click on the grayed out "Documents" folder, it indeed opens up (thank-you) but the file path at bottom of image changes to "iCloud Drive>Documents". I'm probably wearing you out, but it is a bit confusing.

View attachment 128730

That is correct because in your initial post you stated you “clicked the box for Documents and Desktop to be on iCloud Drive”, thus the reason for the iCloud Drive path.

relieflp

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I am going to do a backup to an external hard drive today. I want to very specifically back up the "Documents" folder that is located on my Mac's internal hard drive. This whole thread has not made it clear (to my limited computer know-how) the file path to that specific "Documents" folder. The file path seems to always indicate the iCloud Drive. Theoretically, since I don't use the optimize feature, I have a complete version both at the iCloud Drive and on my internal hard drive. What is the file path to the version on my internal hard drive?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73