Moving from iCloud Photo Library to Google Photos

lawful73

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!... I have 200 GB of photos plus other stuff (backups etc), and I'm paying 9.99 for 2TB. I'm thinking to move to Google Photos, but I'm afraid to regret later...

. Any experience / advice?
. If I stop using iCloud Photo Library, can I still use Photo Stream?
. How do you manage 4k videos when using Google Photos?
. Photos and Videos in iOS Device or in a Mac will keep they original size? so I can back original size media using Time Machine?

Well, thank you a lot for reading my post. And Thank you in advance for any advice!

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I personally use both. I use iCloud Photo Library just between devices, and Google Photos & Amazon Photos as my backup. Yes you can still use Photo Stream if you turn off iCloud Library, but the photos will be greatly compressed and no videos in Photo Stream. Google photos saves all videos as 1080p (30FPS) max, and all photos at full resolution if you are using the HEIC format.

lawful73

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally use both. I use iCloud Photo Library just between devices, and Google Photos & Amazon Photos as my backup. Yes you can still use Photo Stream if you turn off iCloud Library, but the photos will be greatly compressed and no videos in Photo Stream. Google photos saves all videos as 1080p (30FPS) max, and all photos at full resolution if you are using the HEIC format.

Thank you for your answer. So you pay for extra storage in iCloud? I'm paying 9.99 / month for 2 TB and I think it is a lot or at least it is to me. And my iCloud Photo Library will keep on growing...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use both as well. I like Google Photos and I pay $.99 a month for an additional 50GB of storage. Have you thought of an external hard drive?

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Google photos as an ongoing thing and 'high quality', not full res, so it's free. It serves as a catch all incase all else fails — you'll still have a reasonably sized file. And face recognition on Google is great, as Amazon is. Apple still lacks here. Apple Photos just let it keep growing / syncing. Manually upload to google once a week and to an external once a month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal