How do I retrieve the desktop files after unchecking the store desktop&docs in iCloud preferences.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edo_um

May 21, 2019
Visit site
How do I retrieve the desktop files after unchecking the store desktop&docs in iCloud preferences.?

I have a MacBook air with Mojave OS 10.13,couple of days ago decided to clean up some storage on the iCloud and thought it would be a good idea to remove the pictures stored in there. It turns out that unchecking desktop and documents backup is removing also everything I had on desktop.
So afterwards I checked the box again (the store desktop and docs in iCloud) and nothing showed up on desktop. Unchecked again and inside the iCloud folder in the navigator I found the folder which were stored on desktop- but these are only folders with no content inside, seems like hierarchy saved, but nothing else inside folders (also the files which were not under any folder don't appear).
Now, when tried to copy to desktop, some pie appeared near the iCloud name on the left pane of navigator. Anyway, currently I have the iCloud with empty folders and it shows in the status line of iCloud folder that 5.2 GB available (about 85 Mb occupied). So, do you know what are the steps to recover the desktop data?
Thanks ahead,
Eddie

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I retrieve the desktop files after unchecking the store desktop&docs in iCloud preference

If you removed photos and other files from iCloud then they are gone! iCloud is more of a syncing mechanism and it maintains items that are sync to multiple devices, but once you remove the items from iCloud, it is removed from all synced devices.

If I've misread your post, my apologies.

edo_um

May 21, 2019
Visit site
Re: How do I retrieve the desktop files after unchecking the store desktop&docs in iCloud preference

Thanks for response, well i didn't erase anything physically - unless "remove from iCloud" also means unchecking the box in the iCloud preferences section?
Thanks for help again,
Eddie

edo_um

May 21, 2019
Visit site

Hi, the files are found eventually after searching for all folders having iCloud in their name..
my Desktop files are located under iCloud Drive (Archive) / Desktop folder

For anyone who may come over: if you don't like to look for your desktop stuff, make sure you uncheck the mentioned box after you back-up the desktop files

Thank you for help -this thread may be closed

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the followup and glad you were able to retrieve your files. Take care....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.