Accessing iCloud via Web browser?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Last week I found myself away from my phone, iPad and MacBook and needed to find something in my iCloud address book.

So I connected to the iCloud Web site and tried to log in.

It said it would send a message to one of my devices. Since I didn't have any of my devices on me, that didn't help me. And if I had had my devices on me, I wouldn't have had to log in via Web browser.

So how exactly is this supposed to work?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Last week I found myself away from my phone, iPad and MacBook and needed to find something in my iCloud address book.

So I connected to the iCloud Web site and tried to log in.

It said it would send a message to one of my devices. Since I didn't have any of my devices on me, that didn't help me. And if I had had my devices on me, I wouldn't have had to log in via Web browser.

So how exactly is this supposed to work?

Apple goes for safety above convenience.
There is nothing else you could have done different.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Apple goes for safety above convenience.
There is nothing else you could have done different.

I figured that might be it.

I guess the fact that this locks out non-Apple devices rather well is an added advantage. I have been considering moving away from iCloud ever since the last great renaming.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I figured that might be it.

I guess the fact that this locks out non-Apple devices rather well is an added advantage. I have been considering moving away from iCloud ever since the last great renaming.

iCloud is my primary cloud storage service. I wouldn’t dream of moving away from it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Is the fact that you weren't able to successfully log in due to the fact that you are using 2FA and that you neither had your iPhone/iPad and were logging in from a "new to you and untrusted" machine, and you needed your other devices to verify with 2FA?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Is the fact that you weren't able to successfully log in due to the fact that you are using 2FA and that you neither had your iPhone/iPad and were logging in from a "new to you and untrusted" machine, and you needed your other devices to verify with 2FA?

I would say that's probably correct. Any time I have to log into iCloud from an untrusted machine, my devices get a pop up with a security code.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would say that's probably correct. Any time I have to log into iCloud from an untrusted machine, my devices get a pop up with a security code.

Overall, even though this was a huge nuisance for the OP, in the end, I'm glad for Apple's security!

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it helps security.

If the Web interface only works when I have one of my devices with me, there is no need to have a Web interface. The Web interface just adds potential security issues and serves no benefit.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it helps security.

If the Web interface only works when I have one of my devices with me, there is no need to have a Web interface. The Web interface just adds potential security issues and serves no benefit.

Then as @scruffypig posted above, install iCloud for Windows.

The bottom line is, Apple is all about security. So you have 2 options:
1) Use it
2) Don't use it

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Then as @scruffypig posted above, install iCloud for Windows.

That doesn't solve the problem.

The bottom line is, Apple is all about security. So you have 2 options:
1) Use it
2) Don't use it

No. You don't get it. As I said above, offering a Web interface that can only be used when a device that can access iCloud is around, is actually _LESS_ secure than not offering a Web interface.

So, no, Apple is not "all about security". Apple offer more attack surface than necessary for the feature set they offer. That is the opposite of being "all about security".

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
From your OP:
Last week I found myself away from my phone, iPad and MacBook and needed to find something in my iCloud address book. So I connected to the iCloud Web site and tried to log in.

So what did you use to connect to the iCloud website?

From my Windows laptop with iCloud installed, I can open iCloud with my credentials (without any iOS/MacOS/WatchOS/tvOS) device and go right to my contacts.

So from my point of view, yes that did solve the issue in your OP.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I can only make an observation based on my Chrome/Chrome OS experience. If I log into chrome from a different computer, I get a notification on my phone. If I don't authorize the action, nothing will happen. However, as long as I set up the new computer as a device that is mine, I have no trouble afterwards.

I'm guessing Apple is the same way.

This IS a security measure. If somehow your ID and password are compromised, this is a way for the site to determine if you are really who you claim to be.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
From your OP:

So what did you use to connect to the iCloud website?

From my Windows laptop with iCloud installed, I can open iCloud with my credentials (without any iOS/MacOS/WatchOS/tvOS) device and go right to my contacts.

So from my point of view, yes that did solve the issue in your OP.

I don't remember what it was in that specific instance. I think it was a Windows laptop. Basically, I need to use the Web interface whenever I don't have any of my iCloud-connected devices with me. (When I have one of my iCloud-connected devices with me, I use that.)

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I can only make an observation based on my Chrome/Chrome OS experience. If I log into chrome from a different computer, I get a notification on my phone. If I don't authorize the action, nothing will happen. However, as long as I set up the new computer as a device that is mine, I have no trouble afterwards.

I'm guessing Apple is the same way.

This IS a security measure. If somehow your ID and password are compromised, this is a way for the site to determine if you are really who you claim to be.

I can open Gmail from any computer. I think it does send a notification to my Android phone. But the site works when I am away from my phone. Same with outlook.com.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That doesn't solve the problem.

No. You don't get it. As I said above, offering a Web interface that can only be used when a device that can access iCloud is around, is actually _LESS_ secure than not offering a Web interface.

So, no, Apple is not "all about security". Apple offer more attack surface than necessary for the feature set they offer. That is the opposite of being "all about security".

Apple offers iCloud control panel software for Windows computers. The control panel is integrated with your Windows Outlook, photos, One Drive, etc. This isn’t the iCloud web page.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283