Last week I found myself away from my phone, iPad and MacBook and needed to find something in my iCloud address book.

So I connected to the iCloud Web site and tried to log in.

It said it would send a message to one of my devices. Since I didn't have any of my devices on me, that didn't help me. And if I had had my devices on me, I wouldn't have had to log in via Web browser.

So how exactly is this supposed to work?
    02-19-2019 03:53 AM
    Last week I found myself away from my phone, iPad and MacBook and needed to find something in my iCloud address book.

So I connected to the iCloud Web site and tried to log in.

It said it would send a message to one of my devices. Since I didn't have any of my devices on me, that didn't help me. And if I had had my devices on me, I wouldn't have had to log in via Web browser.

So how exactly is this supposed to work?
    Apple goes for safety above convenience.
    There is nothing else you could have done different.
    02-19-2019 04:33 AM
    Apple goes for safety above convenience.
    There is nothing else you could have done different.
    I figured that might be it.

I guess the fact that this locks out non-Apple devices rather well is an added advantage. I have been considering moving away from iCloud ever since the last great renaming.
    02-19-2019 04:52 AM

I guess the fact that this locks out non-Apple devices rather well is an added advantage. I have been considering moving away from iCloud ever since the last great renaming.
    iCloud is my primary cloud storage service. I wouldn’t dream of moving away from it.
    kataran likes this.
    02-19-2019 08:33 AM
    Welcome to iMore Andrew

I prefer iCloud as my cloud service because of there security
    02-19-2019 08:48 AM
    Welcome to iMore Andrew. Like the others, I prefer iCloud because of the security it offers.
    02-19-2019 09:01 AM

Apple allows iCloud for Windows PCs too.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208684
    02-19-2019 06:16 PM
    Is the fact that you weren't able to successfully log in due to the fact that you are using 2FA and that you neither had your iPhone/iPad and were logging in from a "new to you and untrusted" machine, and you needed your other devices to verify with 2FA?
    02-20-2019 08:12 AM
    Is the fact that you weren't able to successfully log in due to the fact that you are using 2FA and that you neither had your iPhone/iPad and were logging in from a "new to you and untrusted" machine, and you needed your other devices to verify with 2FA?
    I would say that's probably correct. Any time I have to log into iCloud from an untrusted machine, my devices get a pop up with a security code.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-20-2019 09:49 AM
    I would say that's probably correct. Any time I have to log into iCloud from an untrusted machine, my devices get a pop up with a security code.
    Overall, even though this was a huge nuisance for the OP, in the end, I'm glad for Apple's security!
    02-20-2019 10:21 AM
    Overall, even though this was a huge nuisance for the OP, in the end, I'm glad for Apple's security!
    Oh it's a pain. Especially when changing devices. Have to carry my iPad so I can get the security code.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-20-2019 10:38 AM