How do I move all my photos from Amazon to my iCloud account?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I will be setting up a new iMac once Santa arrives (PC user until then). I’m excited to start using iCloud photos on both my iPhone 8 and the new iMac. All my photos are currently stored in Amazon Prime photos. My question is how do I move all my photos (years and years worth) from Amazon to my iCloud account? In Amazon drive they are currently in a folder called “My Pictures”. Once that’s completed will my iPhone organize them correctly in the “people” and “places” albums on my phone?

My other question is how do my my wife and I keep all family photos in one central location on the iMac? My wife is not very techy. Is there a way to just have the photos she takes on her iPhone go into that central location automatically? Say we take a family vacation. Any photos we both take on our separate phones I would like in one location on the iMac.

TIA for any helpful info.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Re: Photo migration to iCloud

I will be setting up a new iMac once Santa arrives (PC user until then). I’m excited to start using iCloud photos on both my iPhone 8 and the new iMac. All my photos are currently stored in Amazon Prime photos. My question is how do I move all my photos (years and years worth) from Amazon to my iCloud account? In Amazon drive they are currently in a folder called “My Pictures”. Once that’s completed will my iPhone organize them correctly in the “people” and “places” albums on my phone?

My other question is how do my my wife and I keep all family photos in one central location on the iMac? My wife is not very techy. Is there a way to just have the photos she takes on her iPhone go into that central location automatically? Say we take a family vacation. Any photos we both take on our separate phones I would like in one location on the iMac.

TIA for any helpful info.

I believe iCloud photo sharing will allow for you guys to keep photos easy to find. I'm not sure if you would manage them through the main Photos app or the iCloud.com site.

The photos currently stored on a iOS device using the same AppleID will automatically transfer when you turn on iCloud photos on the Mac. The time it takes for them to sync over will depend on your internet sped and how many there are. As far as moving what's currently in Prime you may have to export them from Prime to the Photos app. I have Prime, but only use it for streaming video and free shipping.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

I believe iCloud photo sharing will allow for you guys to keep photos easy to find. I'm not sure if you would manage them through the main Photos app or the iCloud.com site.

The photos currently stored on a iOS device using the same AppleID will automatically transfer when you turn on iCloud photos on the Mac. The time it takes for them to sync over will depend on your internet sped and how many there are. As far as moving what's currently in Prime you may have to export them from Prime to the Photos app. I have Prime, but only use it for streaming video and free shipping.

Thanks for the info. It may just be an experiment when I get things up and running. I probably have between 15,000-20,000 photos currently in Prime. I’m starting to think it may be better to leave things the way they are.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Thanks for the info. It may just be an experiment when I get things up and running. I probably have between 15,000-20,000 photos currently in Prime. I’m starting to think it may be better to leave things the way they are.

Geez! How much storage do you get for photos with Prime? Maybe I should switch.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

Geez! How much storage do you get for photos with Prime? Maybe I should switch.

Here is a screenshot of my personal storage from within the Prime Photo’s app. I used to use Dropbox which was $10 a month but when I discovered Amazon prime offered unlimited storage I switched.
c6bde5330a305b7119ecbdbbb442442b.jpg

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Amazon Prime is beast. They changed it now so when you renew your yearly you’ll have like 1TB instead of unlimited ( or something like that). But it is still worth it.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

iCloud is not a storage for photos. It’s a backup of your device. If you delete photos on your phone, then it’ll be deleted off of iCloud on your next backup.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

iCloud is not a storage for photos. It’s a backup of your device. If you delete photos on your phone, then it’ll be deleted off of iCloud on your next backup.

Not if you use iCloud Drive or whatever Apple calls it these days. I have photos I've deleted off my phone that are still on my computer, and vice versa. You get 5GB free, then pay more for extra storage. I believe that is what the OP was referring to.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this an old thread but @MrMars were you able to make this work?

My daughter has about 14,000 items on her phone (we previously backed up with iTunes) that we just can’t get up into iCloud photos. She is not home and on WiFi enough to make any kind of progress. However I was able to use her old phone before she traded it in to upload all her photos and videos on Amazon (took three days!). She is constantly at school and work so commandeering her new phone to get things in iCloud isn’t an option. My hope is that I can download her photos to the PC from Amazon and then upload them in batches to iCloud. Does anyone know if this will work? Or will we still be stuck in the “uploading 14,000 + loop?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I know this an old thread but @MrMars were you able to make this work?

My daughter has about 14,000 items on her phone (we previously backed up with iTunes) that we just can’t get up into iCloud photos. She is not home and on WiFi enough to make any kind of progress. However I was able to use her old phone before she traded it in to upload all her photos and videos on Amazon (took three days!). She is constantly at school and work so commandeering her new phone to get things in iCloud isn’t an option. My hope is that I can download her photos to the PC from Amazon and then upload them in batches to iCloud. Does anyone know if this will work? Or will we still be stuck in the “uploading 14,000 + loop?

I was able to get it to work and here’s what I did. I downloaded all the photos from Amazon to my Mac and placed them in a local folder. I don’t recall exactly how long it took but it was quite a bit of time. Once that was done I opened the photos app on my Mac and chose “import” from the menu and imported all the photos into the photo’s app. They are now all in iCloud and viewable on all my devices. You can see from the included screenshot that I imported over 17k photos/videos. Good luck!
161b6af96ea3690d8de4fa0beef32c24.jpg

Last edited:

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get it to work and here’s what I did. Downloaded all photos from Amazon to a folder on my my Mac (local folder) I don’t recall exactly how long it took but it was quite a bit a time. Once that was done I opened the photos app on my Mac and chose “import” and imported all the photos into the photo’s app. They all now all there and in iCloud and viewable on all my devices. You can see from the included screenshot that I imported over 17k photos/videos. Good luck!

Thank you!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Amyr319

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
I was able to get it to work and here’s what I did. I downloaded all the photos from Amazon to my Mac and placed them in a local folder. I don’t recall exactly how long it took but it was quite a bit of time. Once that was done I opened the photos app on my Mac and chose “import” from the menu and imported all the photos into the photo’s app. They are now all in iCloud and viewable on all my devices. You can see from the included screenshot that I imported over 17k photos/videos. Good luck!

Hi! I’m just starting this import of photos from Amazon. Did it save information of your photos like “places” and “people”?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh