iCloud Photos App Question

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I was told by an Apple Tech that the only way to permanently delete a photo/video file from your iCloud Photo Library (as opposed to just deleting it from your devices) was to use the Photos app at iCloud.com.
I am in the process of merging my original iCloud Photo Library with one that is much bigger and unfortunately there are some duplicates that I will have to get rid of. I wanted to see the information pane (to check the file dates, size of the file, etc.) but don't see anyway to access that information using the app at iCloud.com. Am I missing something or isn't that available in the cloud version of the Photos app? Thanks.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
when you delete a photo it will temporarily delete to your recently deleted folder. if you want to delete it permanantly go into recently added folder and find the photo click on it and click Delete. Thats it gone for good

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Deleting photos on iCloud.com is the same as deleting on devices. Emptying the ‘recently deleted’ folder makes photos permanently deleted.

As for merging libraries: why don’t you download all photos on a computer, use a duplicate finder program to get rid of them and then upload the merge as a whole to iCloud.com?

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Second question - already had started the process because I was told in another forum and by the Apple tech that during the merge iCloud Photo Library should have asked about the duplicates which it hasn’t to this point
As far as deleting the same senior Apple tech specifically told me that deleting from an app and then emptying the recently deleted folders only removes the photos from the Photos apps connected to that library. They are still taking up space in my iCloud storage (so that they can still be downloaded and/or restored to my library) and the only way to permanently get them off my iCloud storage is through the Photos app at iCloud.com.
Got the same reply as yours in another forum - have to test it out when I get home to see who is correct I guess.