Well this is an enormous pain in the wazoo - received in the mail today -

"...Beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below..."

Sorry, I know it's all about security (and, ahem, proprietary control by Apple over how we use our own data), but I'm not keen on this or about how Apple does 2-factor ID.

Thoughts?
    05-15-2017 09:22 PM
    Well this is an enormous pain in the wazoo - received in the mail today -

"...Beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below..."

Sorry, I know it's all about security (and, ahem, proprietary control by Apple over how we use our own data), but I'm not keen on this or about how Apple does 2-factor ID.

Thoughts?
    All this increased security is becoming a PIA. Have to write all my passwords down in my notes.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    05-15-2017 09:28 PM
    All this increased security is becoming a PIA. Have to write all my passwords down in my notes.
    You're fine, they get saved in your Keychain with iCloud
    05-15-2017 10:09 PM
    Yeah....exactly...smh
    05-15-2017 10:10 PM
    I 100% agree with Apple on this, even if it's a PITA. Third-party access to our data is a huge gaping security hole IMO.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    05-16-2017 05:36 AM
    Can anyone explain this to me ? I got this email this morning, but not quite inderstand wht this mean. I use exchange/outlook and other 3rd party email client for my gmail account and icloud mail account. What will this new regulation effect to me ?

Maybe some case example will be very helpful
    05-16-2017 08:17 AM
    Can anyone explain this to me ? I got this email this morning, but not quite inderstand wht this mean. I use exchange/outlook and other 3rd party email client for my gmail account and icloud mail account. What will this new regulation effect to me ?

Maybe some case example will be very helpful
    Instead of using your actual login credentials via 3rd-party apps, you'll have to use application-specific pass codes that are auto-generated or ones you can manually generate when you initiate 2-factor authentication.
    05-16-2017 11:01 AM
    Hate the idea, but understand the need, and therefore reluctantly support the changes. It will be interesting to revisit this thread after we've all gotten used to the new procedures!
    05-16-2017 11:36 AM
    I'm not even sure what apps I have that will be affected with this. I don't use two factor anything, nor do I want to.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:17 PM
    Instead of using your actual login credentials via 3rd-party apps, you'll have to use application-specific pass codes that are auto-generated or ones you can manually generate when you initiate 2-factor authentication.
    Pardon me, I really not quite understand what this mean. Just for example with my exchange on outlook, I always use the original exchange password on my outlook (which completely no connection with appleid right ?). So ? Any effect on this ?

Same with my skype for business, gmail account, etc, any effect ?
    05-16-2017 12:24 PM
    Pardon me, I really not quite understand what this mean. Just for example with my exchange on outlook, I always use the original exchange password on my outlook (which completely no connection with appleid right ?). So ? Any effect on this ?

Same with my skype for business, gmail account, etc, any effect ?
    All apps that ask for you iCloud credentials because they want to access it, are gonna need specific passwords generated just for that one app.

You can no longer use your own iCloud credentials to access iCloud within those apps.
    Just_Me_D and Hendri Hendri like this.
    05-16-2017 12:43 PM
    All apps that ask for you iCloud credentials because they want to access it, are gonna need specific passwords generated just for that one app.

You can no longer use your own iCloud credentials to access iCloud within those apps.
    I think I have little understanding now ... sort of

Dunno what app is related to my icloud, maybe some backup. Well just wait and see the implementation

Thx
    05-16-2017 12:49 PM

Dunno what app is related to my icloud, maybe some backup. Well just wait and see the implementation

Thx
    In my case it's: IFTTT, Word, Excell, Shazam, and a few others I can't remember now.
    05-16-2017 12:53 PM

Thx
    Example: let's say you have an iCloud email account, but you wanted to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email, etcetera. Instead of entering your actual passcode of 12345 into the Microsoft Outlook setup you will have to enter an app-specific passcode of abcde. That will protect your actual login credentials while still allowing you to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email. I hope that made sense.
    Hendri Hendri likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:56 PM
    Example: let's say you have an iCloud email account, but you wanted to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email, etcetera. Instead of entering your actual passcode of 12345 into the Microsoft Outlook setup you will have to enter an app-specific passcode of abcde. That will protect your actual login credentials while still allowing you to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email. I hope that made sense.
    I see, understood now
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-16-2017 01:04 PM
    Is it only apps where you have to log in within the app with your Apple ID, like an email client for iCloud? They mention calendar and contacts apps. While a few I have use info (calendar and contacts), there's no log in.
    05-16-2017 01:49 PM
    Is it only apps where you have to log in within the app with your Apple ID, like an email client for iCloud? They mention calendar and contacts apps. While a few I have use info (calendar and contacts), there's no log in.
    That is correct! Any non-Apple app that requires you to login to your iCloud account, whether for email, calendar, contacts, etc., will require an app-specific passcode to gain access.
    05-16-2017 01:52 PM
    That is correct! Any non-Apple app that requires you to login to your iCloud account, whether for email, calendar, contacts, etc., will require an app-specific passcode to gain access.
    Maybe I don't have anything to worry about then. Email is the only one I have that requires a log in for iCloud email. Is that access to the App, or an app-specific passcode for iCloud? What it I just delete the iCloud email account?
    05-16-2017 02:11 PM
    As someone who supports issues with Keychain...keychain is a PITA! Lol.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-16-2017 02:14 PM
    Maybe I don't have anything to worry about then. Email is the only one I have that requires a log in for iCloud email. Is that access to the App, or an app-specific passcode for iCloud? What it I just delete the iCloud email account?
    If you've already enabled 2-factor authentication, chances are you've already created a few app-specific passcodes to use. I have several, specifically, 3rd-party email apps that I was using. In regard to your iCloud account inquiry, no, you DO NOT delete your iCloud account. Anyway, you can read about app-specific passcode via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397
    05-16-2017 02:21 PM
    If you've already enabled 2-factor authentication, chances are you've already created a few app-specific passcodes to use. I have several, specifically, 3rd-party email apps that I was using. In regard to your iCloud account inquiry, no, you DO NOT delete your iCloud account. Anyway, you can read about app-specific passcode via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397
    I meant delete the iCloud email from the App. I don't use it much at all. I don't use two factor.
    05-16-2017 02:23 PM
    I meant delete the iCloud email from the App. I don't use it much at all. I don't use two factor.
    If you were using the Email by EasilyDo app, for example, to access your iCloud email, you can choose to logout/delete the iCloud account from within the app if you're no longer using it. If you opt to use that app again to access your iCloud email, you'll have to use an App-Specific passcode for it. Furthermore, you can re-create App-Specific passcodes as you see fit.
    05-16-2017 02:29 PM
    Sorry - but for all the arguments why this is A Good Thing, it looks less like a security 'feature' and more like Apple dissuading users (especially those who want no part of their 2-part authentication) from using apps that are superior to Apple's own.

And remember, this process means you're not just creating new passwords for your 3rd Party apps, but you are having to buy into Apple's 2-factor authentication and its process. And I haven't entirely grasped what that's gonna mean for cases where (for security reasons already) you may have more than one Apple account - in my case, one for iCloud and one for iTunes / App Store.
    05-16-2017 02:29 PM
    If you don't use 2 factor authentication then you have nothing to worry about. This thread is not for you
    Sherry_B likes this.
    05-16-2017 02:31 PM
    Sorry - but for all the arguments why this is A Good Thing, it looks less like a security 'feature' and more like Apple dissuading users (especially those who want no part of their 2-part authentication) from using apps that are superior to Apple's own.
    "This maintains a high level of security and ensures that your primary Apple ID password won’t be collected or stored by any third-party apps you might use"

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204915
    Sherry_B likes this.
    05-16-2017 02:33 PM
30 12