Apple forcing 2-factor ID via 3rd Party apps access to iCloud

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you've already enabled 2-factor authentication, chances are you've already created a few app-specific passcodes to use. I have several, specifically, 3rd-party email apps that I was using. In regard to your iCloud account inquiry, no, you DO NOT delete your iCloud account. Anyway, you can read about app-specific passcode via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

I meant delete the iCloud email from the App. I don't use it much at all. I don't use two factor.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I meant delete the iCloud email from the App. I don't use it much at all. I don't use two factor.

If you were using the Email by EasilyDo app, for example, to access your iCloud email, you can choose to logout/delete the iCloud account from within the app if you're no longer using it. If you opt to use that app again to access your iCloud email, you'll have to use an App-Specific passcode for it. Furthermore, you can re-create App-Specific passcodes as you see fit.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry - but for all the arguments why this is A Good Thing, it looks less like a security 'feature' and more like Apple dissuading users (especially those who want no part of their 2-part authentication) from using apps that are superior to Apple's own.

And remember, this process means you're not just creating new passwords for your 3rd Party apps, but you are having to buy into Apple's 2-factor authentication and its process. And I haven't entirely grasped what that's gonna mean for cases where (for security reasons already) you may have more than one Apple account - in my case, one for iCloud and one for iTunes / App Store.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry - but for all the arguments why this is A Good Thing, it looks less like a security 'feature' and more like Apple dissuading users (especially those who want no part of their 2-part authentication) from using apps that are superior to Apple's own.

"This maintains a high level of security and ensures that your primary Apple ID password won’t be collected or stored by any third-party apps you might use"

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204915

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
"This maintains a high level of security and ensures that your primary Apple ID password won’t be collected or stored by any third-party apps you might use"

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204915

Sorry, but horse has already left the barn, because I've already given these 3rd Party apps the access code. And the letter out didn't say anything about changing your master password to iCloud before doing all this. If you can.
And frankly, given the companies' apps I have given access to iCloud, I'm not sure they are any worse threat than Apple is.

Apple tried to initiate this a few years ago and it simply didn't fly then. Daresay they are using currently media reports as 'incentive' to make it seem like you'll be more secure. Not convinced.

May yet end biting the bullet - or, contrariwise, say' screw it' and use other apps and syncing bypassing iCloud entirely.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but horse has already left the barn, because I've already given these 3rd Party apps the access code. And the letter out didn't say anything about changing your master password to iCloud before doing all this. If you can.
And frankly, given the companies' apps I have given access to iCloud, I'm not sure they are any worse threat than Apple is.

Apple tried to initiate this a few years ago and it simply didn't fly then. Daresay they are using currently media reports as 'incentive' to make it seem like you'll be more secure. Not convinced.

May yet end biting the bullet - or, contrariwise, say' screw it' and use other apps and syncing bypassing iCloud entirely.

You may be right...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73