Apple forcing 2-factor ID via 3rd Party apps access to iCloud

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Well this is an enormous pain in the wazoo - received in the mail today -

"...Beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below..."

Sorry, I know it's all about security (and, ahem, proprietary control by Apple over how we use our own data), but I'm not keen on this or about how Apple does 2-factor ID.

Thoughts?

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Well this is an enormous pain in the wazoo - received in the mail today -

"...Beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below..."

Sorry, I know it's all about security (and, ahem, proprietary control by Apple over how we use our own data), but I'm not keen on this or about how Apple does 2-factor ID.

Thoughts?

All this increased security is becoming a PIA. Have to write all my passwords down in my notes.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I 100% agree with Apple on this, even if it's a PITA. Third-party access to our data is a huge gaping security hole IMO.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone explain this to me ? I got this email this morning, but not quite inderstand wht this mean. I use exchange/outlook and other 3rd party email client for my gmail account and icloud mail account. What will this new regulation effect to me ?

Maybe some case example will be very helpful :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain this to me ? I got this email this morning, but not quite inderstand wht this mean. I use exchange/outlook and other 3rd party email client for my gmail account and icloud mail account. What will this new regulation effect to me ?

Maybe some case example will be very helpful :)

Instead of using your actual login credentials via 3rd-party apps, you'll have to use application-specific pass codes that are auto-generated or ones you can manually generate when you initiate 2-factor authentication.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hate the idea, but understand the need, and therefore reluctantly support the changes. It will be interesting to revisit this thread after we've all gotten used to the new procedures!

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Instead of using your actual login credentials via 3rd-party apps, you'll have to use application-specific pass codes that are auto-generated or ones you can manually generate when you initiate 2-factor authentication.

Pardon me, I really not quite understand what this mean. Just for example with my exchange on outlook, I always use the original exchange password on my outlook (which completely no connection with appleid right ?). So ? Any effect on this ?

Same with my skype for business, gmail account, etc, any effect ?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Pardon me, I really not quite understand what this mean. Just for example with my exchange on outlook, I always use the original exchange password on my outlook (which completely no connection with appleid right ?). So ? Any effect on this ?

Same with my skype for business, gmail account, etc, any effect ?

All apps that ask for you iCloud credentials because they want to access it, are gonna need specific passwords generated just for that one app.

You can no longer use your own iCloud credentials to access iCloud within those apps.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
All apps that ask for you iCloud credentials because they want to access it, are gonna need specific passwords generated just for that one app.

You can no longer use your own iCloud credentials to access iCloud within those apps.

I think I have little understanding now ... sort of

Dunno what app is related to my icloud, maybe some backup. Well just wait and see the implementation

Thx

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I have little understanding now ... sort of

Dunno what app is related to my icloud, maybe some backup. Well just wait and see the implementation

Thx

Example: let's say you have an iCloud email account, but you wanted to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email, etcetera. Instead of entering your actual passcode of 12345 into the Microsoft Outlook setup you will have to enter an app-specific passcode of abcde. That will protect your actual login credentials while still allowing you to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email. I hope that made sense.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Example: let's say you have an iCloud email account, but you wanted to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email, etcetera. Instead of entering your actual passcode of 12345 into the Microsoft Outlook setup you will have to enter an app-specific passcode of abcde. That will protect your actual login credentials while still allowing you to use the Microsoft Outlook app to access your iCloud email. I hope that made sense.

I see, understood now

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Is it only apps where you have to log in within the app with your Apple ID, like an email client for iCloud? They mention calendar and contacts apps. While a few I have use info (calendar and contacts), there's no log in.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it only apps where you have to log in within the app with your Apple ID, like an email client for iCloud? They mention calendar and contacts apps. While a few I have use info (calendar and contacts), there's no log in.

That is correct! Any non-Apple app that requires you to login to your iCloud account, whether for email, calendar, contacts, etc., will require an app-specific passcode to gain access.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That is correct! Any non-Apple app that requires you to login to your iCloud account, whether for email, calendar, contacts, etc., will require an app-specific passcode to gain access.

Maybe I don't have anything to worry about then. Email is the only one I have that requires a log in for iCloud email. Is that access to the App, or an app-specific passcode for iCloud? What it I just delete the iCloud email account?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I don't have anything to worry about then. Email is the only one I have that requires a log in for iCloud email. Is that access to the App, or an app-specific passcode for iCloud? What it I just delete the iCloud email account?

If you've already enabled 2-factor authentication, chances are you've already created a few app-specific passcodes to use. I have several, specifically, 3rd-party email apps that I was using. In regard to your iCloud account inquiry, no, you DO NOT delete your iCloud account. Anyway, you can read about app-specific passcode via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro