general > storage & icloud usage:

storage section:
    photos: 353.1MB
    353.1mb photo libary
    4kb shared photo stream

icloud section:
    photos - icloud library 3.9 gb
    41 photos 0 videos

This is the same amount of photos shown in the camera roll and on icloud.com

Anyone know why the storage in icloud is way greater than the actual storage on the device?
    01-06-2017 06:11 PM
    Are the photos on the device optimized to conserve storage space?
    01-06-2017 08:17 PM
    iCloud storage and the device storage are not supposed to be the same. There may be things in iCloud that are not on your device. For example, I have app data in iCloud for apps I no longer keep on my phone.
    01-06-2017 11:19 PM
    Are the photos on the device optimized to conserve storage space?
    No.

But I have removed all the photos so the camera roll is showing 0 (none in deleted either). Backed up and then wiped phone and restored from the backup. icloud storage remains the same
    01-09-2017 03:50 PM
    iCloud storage and the device storage are not supposed to be the same. There may be things in iCloud that are not on your device. For example, I have app data in iCloud for apps I no longer keep on my phone.
    Icould.com shows the exact same photos as stored on the phone. Where would I look to see what else is taking up space in the photos section?
    01-09-2017 03:51 PM
    Icould.com shows the exact same photos as stored on the phone. Where would I look to see what else is taking up space in the photos section?
    Yes the photos would be the same. The photos app has more than just photos. They added new features in iOS 10. This apparently takes space. Right now I have 141 photos on my camera roll. But it shows 512 mb in usage > Manage storage in settlngs. The addition of the "people", "places" and "selfie" albums has to be the difference. It's my guess anyways.
    01-09-2017 09:20 PM
    As a follow up:

I contacted apple support and apparently photos and videos did not 'properly' delete, they got stuck somewhere in cyber space. The apple technician's were able to restore and then I had to manually delete. All is well now
    06-22-2017 03:08 PM
    As a follow up:

I contacted apple support and apparently photos and videos did not 'properly' delete, they got stuck somewhere in cyber space. The apple technician's were able to restore and then I had to manually delete. All is well now
    Glad you got it sorted out.
    06-22-2017 07:44 PM