iCloud Photo Library

steven2014

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have iCloud Photo back up turned on, on my iphone 7 plus.
I just had a look at my local iPhone storage and says that my Photos app is taking up 4.6GB. How can this be if my photos are being stored on iCloud ?

I have "optimise iPhonestorage" turned on.

Any ideas ?

kirankannan8

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Have you check your "recently deleted photos" folder?
It could be that you deleted many photos, but they are actually sent to the "recently deleted photos" folder.
You can delete those photos manually from that folder.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Well I pay for iCloud 50gb storage..my photo library takes up 46gb currently...I didn't like google or box or Dropbox much..I keep a copy on OneDrive...

steven2014

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Is that 46GB on iCloud or iPhone? I'm just confused as to why the GB on phone is being taken if they are supposed to be on iCloud :/

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Optimized storage decides how much local storage to use so if it feels that you have space for the most recent photos I'll keep them local. It looks like 6.42 gb is what it thinks you can spare. If the phone feels you need more space it'll remove more local photos off your phone.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Is that 46GB on iCloud or iPhone? I'm just confused as to why the GB on phone is being taken if they are supposed to be on iCloud :/

As kurpage explained, if you have iCloud Photo Library set to Optimize on your phone, it will keep some photos local, like the most recent ones taken, or ones you have recently accessed fully by tapping on their thumbnail pic.. The phone will decide that if it needs more space it will remove some of the locally stored full size items if it thinks it needs to. The space being shown as being used by photos on the phone is all the thumbnails for all photos/videos in iCloud Photo Library, and full sized locally stored photos and videos. I have a 6s+ 128gb. I could choose to have my entire library locally(46gb), but I have lots of movies I bought and I'd rather have more of those than my entire photos Library.. If you have iCloud space running low, buy more. If you have local space running low, either delete stuff you don't need(apps etc), or buy a bigger storage phone...It all should be based on what you do or how you use the device.. I always buy the biggest storage iPhone available at the time cuz I have lots of pics/vids and I like my movies.. I'll have to be getting more iCloud space sometime next year..4.4gb left..that might last me till next fall.. I just wish Apple had a 100gb tier.. from 50gb to 200gb is a big gap!.. I don't need to go that high yet..oh well...$$ for Apple... Sorry to go on so long..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner