1/2016

I have 12,000 photos on my iPad mini and need to remove them because I'm out of iPad storage.

I have them "backed up" to iCloud.

Do I load them into Photos then remove them from my iPad?

Will ICloud DELETE them from my iCloud account when iCloud no longer sees them on my iPad?

Thank you,
    Zerna
    01-08-2016 08:18 AM
    1. Create a folder on your computer.
    2. Connect your iPad to your computer and then transfer the pics to that created folder.

If your iPad is "synced" to iCloud via Photostream and/or iCloud Photo Library then if you delete the pics from your iPad, the results will sync to iCloud. Having said that, being that you will have created a folder in your computer and then transferred the pics over to it, it shouldn't be a problem because you will still have the photos.
    01-08-2016 08:52 AM
    Zerna,
    Are you out of memory on your iPad because you have kept the original photos on the device? Or have you optimised the photos to have just the thumbnails available?

Basically, if you have the originals you could change this to optimise iPad storage and still keep all the photos on your iPad.

Go to Settings/Photo & Camera ~ Tap on 'Optimise iPad Storage' and this will free up a substantial amount of storage space on your device.
    01-08-2016 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the input. If I do as you recommend.... And I want to show someone a picture will I need wifi? Ie- is the reduced image visible?
    01-08-2016 02:36 PM
    Do I do it thru iTunes? Or other? Ie- how / where are the photos located if I plug into my MacBook Pro and access my iPad photos from there?
    01-08-2016 02:39 PM
    UPDATE: I transferred all photos from mini to Mac via image capture. Now- I have 100's of albums on my mini... 1. How do I delete all photos from "all photos" on my mini? 2. What happens to my albums? They will be empty right? 3. Can I back up each individual album? Tks, Z
    01-08-2016 04:56 PM
    Is there a way to back up to iCloud and not lose photos once they are deleted from my iPhone or iPad? Once my photos are backed up to Dropbox I can delete them from everything and still be able to access them in the cloud.

I recently upgraded my iCloud storage thinking that this would be he case. I don't see the point in paying for 200GB if it will only keep what is currently on my device. My iPhone is 64GB, so I would never come close to 200GB.
    01-09-2016 10:42 AM
    Why not upload photos to Box and Dropbox? It's what I do.
    01-09-2016 10:51 AM
    Zerna,
    Are you out of memory on your iPad because you have kept the original photos on the device? Or have you optimised the photos to have just the thumbnails available?

Basically, if you have the originals you could change this to optimise iPad storage and still keep all the photos on your iPad.

Go to Settings/Photo & Camera ~ Tap on 'Optimise iPad Storage' and this will free up a substantial amount of storage space on your device.
    Just a note - careful to not confuse 'memory' with 'storage'. They are very different things.
    01-09-2016 11:40 AM
    Is there a way to back up to iCloud and not lose photos once they are deleted from my iPhone or iPad? Once my photos are backed up to Dropbox I can delete them from everything and still be able to access them in the cloud.

I recently upgraded my iCloud storage thinking that this would be he case. I don't see the point in paying for 200GB if it will only keep what is currently on my device. My iPhone is 64GB, so I would never come close to 200GB.
    I would think most who need 200gb in iCloud are backing up more than one device.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12519?locale=en_US
    01-09-2016 11:51 AM