Why can't I keep separate contacts on different devices?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I got a new iPhone 6S and gave my wife my old 4S (don't feel bad for her -- it's a huge upgrade from her old Motorola flip phone!). Each phone has its own name, apps, etc. which iTunes keeps separate.

But, when I edited the contacts on my wife's 4S, the changes were reflected on my 6S -- seemingly after syncing -- and I ended up with contacts missing from my phone, contacts I don't want, etc, and she ended up with some of my contacts that she doesn't need or want.

After I noticed this, I saw that in Settings | iCloud, 'Contacts' were turned on, so I turned them off (I backup to my PC). Was that the problem, or is there something else I should check?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. That was the "problem". If you are sharing a iCloud account, then changes will be reflected on both devices.

You possibly (probably) would be better served to have separate iCloud accounts. You can still share the iTunes account if you wish (if that's what you are doing).

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I didn't know all of these would be set to share by default. I lost several contacts in the process of learning that.

The iTunes ID is already shared, but I have now turned all the others off.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I didn't know all of these would be set to share by default. I lost several contacts in the process of learning that.

The iTunes ID is already shared, but I have now turned all the others off.

Also, when you share an iCloud ID with 2 others, you share the 5 free gb of iCloud storage space. With separate ID's, you each get 5 gb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox