Is there a way to recover (undelete) a 'Notes' file mistakenly deleted from iCloud?

I

iMore Question

is there a way to recover (undelete) a 'Notes' file mistakenly deleted from iCloud?

On my iPhone, my finger mistakenly hit the Delete when updating info in a particular important note file. When I got my iPad, the deleted note was still there. I opened it to try to make a change to it and resave it, in an effort to save /preserve the file. Before I could save it, the file updated from iCloud and deleted from my iPad. Is there a a way to undelete it - to rescue /restore it?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: is there a way to recover (undelete) a 'Notes' file mistakenly deleted from iCloud?

Welcome to iMore! The only way that I know of is to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup that may have included the note.

Matt-B

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: is there a way to recover (undelete) a 'Notes' file mistakenly deleted from iCloud?

iCloud.com allows you to restore files, contacts and calendars - but unfortunately not Notes. Hopefully they will add this.

If you are not using iCloud sync and your using something like Gmail - maybe(??) the note is in the trash there?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
is there a way to recover (undelete) a 'Notes' file mistakenly deleted from i...

Matt-B is correct. If you do not have a copy of the deleted notes somewhere else, it is gone.

As for restoring via an iCloud backup, that does not help in this matter. "Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn?t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive."
Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?locale=en_US

LINDERMAN88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I was able to recover deleted notes. I had an iphone 4, i had my notes generated via the built in ios 7 notes app - auto backed up to icloud. ie I had the "notes" switch set to on under the icloud setting.
I accidentally deleted a very long note when using the notes app. Tried heaps of recovery programs that did not work. When you delete a note in the app, it is automatically deleted off icloud in seconds, as you found out. Had you put your ipad in airplane mode before opening notes, you could have created an email of the wanted note before it could be deleted off the ipad via internet syncing.

Solution - I contacted Apple support and requested they restore any notes they could on my icloud account. Bingo - they did and most if not all of my missing notes were back and viewable on my phone. I wish I had known about this earlier - as I spent ages searching heaps of Apple forums etc that did not provide this info - everyone said you could not get your notes back, period. You can, and I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2