Is iCloud Drive good to use full time?

kylepu110

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been searching for a cloud storage solution and I was checking out iCloud Drive as a viable option. With the iCloud Drive app coming out in iOS 9, I think it competes well with other solutions. I'm just curious what others think and what insight others can lend here.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I use both Google Drive and iCloud Drive. Google Drive is definitely more accessible (cross-platform and accessible on Android), and GD also offers 15 GB of free storage compared to 5 GB of shared storage with iCloud Drive. If you don't have a problem upgrading and paying for more storage every month and be exclusively using Apple devices, go with iCloud Drive. If you will be using different operating systems and want more storage, go with Google Drive.

kylepu110

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I use both Google Drive and iCloud Drive. Google Drive is definitely more accessible (cross-platform and accessible on Android), and GD also offers 15 GB of free storage compared to 5 GB of shared storage with iCloud Drive. If you don't have a problem upgrading and paying for more storage every month and be exclusively using Apple devices, go with iCloud Drive. If you will be using different operating systems and want more storage, go with Google Drive.

Not purposefully, but I have only *owned* Apple Devices -- so it might make sense for me. I'm a little weary of Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- any opinion on those applications?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Not purposefully, but I have only *owned* Apple Devices -- so it might make sense for me. I'm a little weary of Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- any opinion on those applications?

I have been using those for just under 2 years. The functionality is basically the same between Microsoft Office and the iWork suite. I really do like using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote over Microsoft Office because it is much more intuitive in my opinion. It will take some time to get used to using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, but both Office and iWork are similar enough that it shouldn't take too long. You can also export the documents you create in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, so you won't have to worry about compatibility errors if you send the documents to others who are using Microsoft Office.

kylepu110

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been using those for just under 2 years. The functionality is basically the same between Microsoft Office and the iWork suite. I really do like using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote over Microsoft Office because it is much more intuitive in my opinion. It will take some time to get used to using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, but both Office and iWork are similar enough that it shouldn't take too long. You can also export the documents you create in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, so you won't have to worry about compatibility errors if you send the documents to others who are using Microsoft Office.

I've heard good things about iWork from others, but one thing that has made me weary is that people have told me stories about downloading files from their professors or colleagues that have created files using Word or Powerpoint and opening them in Pages/Keynote with he formatting being off or garbled, etc. Any insight there? Sorry for all the questions. I don't ever get the chances to sit down and ask these questions with actual users :p

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I've heard good things about iWork from others, but one thing that has made me weary is that people have told me stories about downloading files from their professors or colleagues that have created files using Word or Powerpoint and opening them in Pages/Keynote with he formatting being off or garbled, etc. Any insight there? Sorry for all the questions. I don't ever get the chances to sit down and ask these questions with actual users :p

Haha you're totally okay :) There are compatibility errors I've run into with Word/PowerPoint documents, but the worst they've been is a font has to be changed because it isn't an OS X system font. Other than that I haven't had any errors with it.

ferreirarq

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I entirely did my college thesis on Pages...

It was almost a 450 pages document with absolutley no issues. In fact I wouldn't been able to achieve the level of layouting and design of the document if it weren't for Pages.

It's a great piece of software and don't get me started on keynote and numbers which I use every single day for work.

You'll be absolutely fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I entirely did my college thesis on Pages...

It was almost a 450 pages document with absolutley no issues. In fact I wouldn't been able to achieve the level of layouting and design of the document if it weren't for Pages.

It's a great piece of software and don't get me started on keynote and numbers which I use every single day for work.

You'll be absolutely fine.

Pages is great and all but it uses iCloud which only offers 5GB of free storage which for me is already at 99% full with my backups of my iPad and iPhone. Google drive and Onedrive offer 15GB for free and Microsoft Office ( Basic stuff) and Google docs are free on iOS devices.

ferreirarq

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Pages is great and all but it uses iCloud which only offers 5GB of free storage which for me is already at 99% full with my backups of my iPad and iPhone. Google drive and Onedrive offer 15GB for free and Microsoft Office ( Basic stuff) and Google docs are free on iOS devices.

You can save iWork documents on whatever cloud service you want on iOS also, not a big deal.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there no way to save files directly into the iCloud Drive app on an iPhone? If it were possible, I'd switch from my other apps in a heartbeat.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know. What I meant to ask was whether or not there is an option to save directly into the app without the need for a third party app. Via the share button while viewing a pdf file in Safari for example. I am guessing that your response signals there is still no option to do so.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods