iCloud Backup size

anon(507694)

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I am backing up my devices via iCloud backup.
They both come to about 800mb.

From looking at what is backed up, I don't know how so much is being used in the backups.

Could there be old apps taking up this space?

I have looked at messages and other Apple apps that backup and it wouldn't reach the 800mb backup.
I have also looked at the apps listed as backing up to iCloud (that I can turn on and off), there is about 80-100mb here max.

This is more curiosity rather than a problem for me.

Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It should tell you how much space is available. If both are 800 mb, then look and see if you have about 2 gb available.

anon(507694)

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My iCloud photos, for example, are using my iCloud storage but I wouldn't think they are also included in my device backup.

It sounds like you are saying otherwise but that doesn't make sense to me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My iCloud photos, for example, are using my iCloud storage but I wouldn't think they are also included in my device backup.

It sounds like you are saying otherwise but that doesn't make sense to me.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library? I don't use that. The only photos I back up in iCloud are what is currently on my camera roll. All my other photos and videos are in cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive.

anon(507694)

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Are you using iCloud Photo Library? I don't use that. The only photos I back up in iCloud are what is currently on my camera roll. All my other photos and videos are in cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive.

I don't think I'm explaining correctly.

File 11-06-2015 11 33 36.png

The contents of the backup listed in the image do not add up to the 838MB backup size.
Even if I include iMessage, calendar, contacts, reminders, notes and other things like that, it still comes nowhere near to 838MB.

I know it can't include my images since iCloud Photo Library is turned on and is a number of GB in size, it is too big to be included.

So what else is included in the backup? Is there data from old apps no longer used? Are historic changes kept like Mac's Time Machine?

It seems like a very large file size to backup considering how little it shows to be backing up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I'm explaining correctly.

View attachment 83011

The contents of the backup listed in the image do not add up to the 838MB backup size.
Even if I include iMessage, calendar, contacts, reminders, notes and other things like that, it still comes nowhere near to 838MB.

I know it can't include my images since iCloud Photo Library is turned on and is a number of GB in size, it is too big to be included.

So what else is included in the backup? Is there data from old apps no longer used? Are historic changes kept like Mac's Time Machine?

It seems like a very large file size to backup considering how little it shows to be backing up.

Maybe this will show you what is backed up.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?locale=en_US

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal