Is there a way to only use iMessage/Facetime with my iCloud account?

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
This may be a noob-ish question... But is there a way to disable my phone number entirely and use iMessage/Facetime ONLY with my iCloud account? i know i know, go to the settings and manipulate the addresses... But when there is a SIM card installed it still checks the phone number and grays it out so you can't uncheck it...

Why do I want to do this you ask? I'm currently deployed to Kuwait... and I have two phones with two different SIM cards/phone numbers. Sometimes when i go to iMessage someone it will default to the phone number. Rather than confuse everyone back home I wanted to disable the phone number entirely and just message strictly through the iCloud account. Similar to how you would do on a non-cellular device (iPad, etc.)

Is there any way to do this or is it always going to have the phone number checked by default.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You cannot disassociate your phone number because it is needed for SMS/MMS purposes. You can however, change the "Send & Receive" a option in the message settings to your Apple ID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2