I like and use iCloud Photo Library on my iDevices. I don't want to turn it off ans lose all the photos currently on my 6+ etc.

I will be traveling abroad for 2 weeks, during which I expect to take a lot of pictures. However, cellular data is really expensive and I want to temporarily suspend the automatic uploads and downloads of pictures without disabling iCloud Photo Library. I can resume normal functions after I return home.

Any way to do that?

Thanks.
    Aloke
    05-20-2015 09:49 PM
    Go to Settings > Cellular and disable Photos. However, iCloud Photo Library updates over Wi-Fi, so you really should not have an issue with cellular.
    05-21-2015 09:04 AM
    Unfortunately, that won't work for me.

I forgot to mention in my OP that when abroad, I use a locally sourced pre-paid cellular WiFi hotspot to connect. So, the iPhone will think it is connected to WiFi and proceed with the uploads/downloads. All the while, I am paying for the data per byte
    05-21-2015 09:15 AM
    Unfortunately, that won't work for me.

I forgot to mention in my OP that when abroad, I use a locally sourced pre-paid cellular WiFi hotspot to connect. So, the iPhone will think it is connected to WiFi and proceed with the uploads/downloads. All the while, I am paying for the data per byte
    You're best bet may be to also take a long a laptop computer to offload your pics to at the end of each day. Alternatively, you can try locating a shop that offers free Wi-Fi, and in conjunction with a VPN client, upload the photos to your iCloud Photo Library. Anyway, unless you're expecting your device to crash, your pics should be fine on the device.
    05-21-2015 09:24 AM
    I still don't see how I'll avoid cellular data charges through the WiFi hotspot.

I need to keep the hotspot on in my pocket to get emails and other low bandwidth traffic (like occasional use of Safari, travel apps) to my iPhone. So, as soon as I take some pictures, all that MB's of data will get transferred to the iCloud photo library through the cellular hotspot.

It appears that there is no way to suspend iCloud Photo Library uploads (without cancelling the feature and losing all my pictures on my iPhone) while connected to WiFi
    05-21-2015 09:36 AM
    I still don't see how I'll avoid cellular data charges through the WiFi hotspot.

I need to keep the hotspot on in my pocket to get emails and other low bandwidth traffic (like occasional use of Safari, travel apps) to my iPhone. So, as soon as I take some pictures, all that MB's of data will get transferred to the iCloud photo library through the cellular hotspot.

It appears that there is no way to suspend iCloud Photo Library uploads (without cancelling the feature and losing all my pictures on my iPhone) while connected to WiFi
    07-30-2017 07:22 PM
    In photos settings under iCloud you can delay photo uploads for 24hours
    07-30-2017 07:23 PM