Can my wife and I both backup our photos to a Macbook Pro using the new Photos App?

sethjk

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
photos from two iphones

My wife and I both have iphones and our own Apple ID. We use the same User Account on a macbook pro and are running the new Photos App. Is there any way for us both to have photostream backing up to this mac? Essentially, we want ALL of our pictures in one place

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
photos from two iphones

You can if the both of you have separate logins for the MacBook and then configure iCloud with the same Apple ID used on your iPhones. Alternatively, I suppose you could share your pics with the account used on the MacBook.

sethjk

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: photos from two iphones

Edited question to clarify. We have separate Apple IDs and want to have one place where all photos are kept.

lanval

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem. My wife and I share a login on our mac. We do not want to have separate logins as our lives are pretty tightly entwined (shared accounts, shared e-mail, shared iTunes library, etc.). We will not create separate logins because ten years of data would need to be separated and our iTunes library is big enough that two copies will not fit on the drive…

When we bought iPhones a few years back we created separate Apple IDs so that Find Friends and Siri commands know what is what (calling mom, that type of thing), but we also have our joint AppleID for all the media. We both also sync out phone with the computer and don’t sync to the cloud.

The question is, if we upgrade to the next OS, but do not turn on iCloud for Photos, can we still sync both of our phones to the new Photos app regardless of the main Apple ID on our Phones?

sethjk

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

Awesome, thanks. was hoping there was a way to do it with photostream so it would be effortless but this may be the best alternative. Thanks again!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Awesome, thanks. was hoping there was a way to do it with photostream so it would be effortless but this may be the best alternative. Thanks again!

Which alternative did you choose?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

lanval

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

So, now that it has been released, does anyone know if you can sync two iphones in a single profile on a mac (like iPhoto allowed) if iCloud photos is not turned on?

alibell999

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

I've been searching for a solution to this question since iOS8 forced the use of one Apple ID across iTunes, Find Friends, Photostream, etc. on each iDevice.

My wife and I used to share the same Photostream, using her ID on both iPhones, which would then automatically sync with Aperture on our shared Mac on one shared user account.

So a typical weekend might involve me taking the kids to the park, taking photos which my wife could automatically see on the photostream (this WAS excellent). She would then find out where I had ended up (making sure it wasn't the pub) and join us by using Find Friends (separate ID's). We'd both take photos, and these would automatically download to the mac for sharing, editing, backing-up etc.

Post-iOS8 we have her ID on both her phone and the Mac for photo syncing (photostream or iCloud library). But I cannot view any of these photos stored in the cloud, including those taken with our DSLR and stored in Aperture, without them being manually placed into a shared family album.

The only solution seems to use the comparatively manual process of select-and-share photo by photo. Not the easiest when you're dealing with two toddlers or taking many not-quite-perfect photos!

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to include an option to add a secondary Apple ID to an iCloud Library. Am I missing something?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh