Why is my iCloud Photo Library removing the location (GPS) info from photos?

Skippermark

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
iCloud Photo Library is removing location (GPS) info from photos

I started using the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) a couple weeks ago and noticed that if I download or email a photo from the webpage, the location (GPS) info of where the photo was taken is getting removed.

This happens with Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer & Mozilla on both a Macbook Pro & Windows 7 computer testing 3 different iPhones and 3 different iCloud accounts.

The only successful way to keep the location data intact is to email the photo from the phone's app (not the web interface) or share the photo to something like Google Drive or Dropbox.

I don't have the beta of the Photos app on the Mac and wondered if the location/GPS data gets removed when using that application.

This seems to be a bug in the beta version of the web interface, so I sent feedback about it and was just curious if anyone else noticed this. It's kind of annoying because there's no way to easily save edited photos with the location info intact.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: iCloud Photo Library is removing location (GPS) info from photos

Photos I've shot with my iPhone6 have geotags... bring up the photo, have Photos show info... and there's a map...

Skippermark

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
iCloud Photo Library is removing location (GPS) info from photos - Part 2

New to the forums here. Is there no way to reply to your own post?

My photos are geotagged. They display fine on the phone, but when I go to icloud.com/#photos on a computer and download or email the photos from there, the location info get stripped out.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: iCloud Photo Library is removing location (GPS) info from photos - Part 2

New to the forums here. Is there no way to reply to your own post?
You don't see:
View attachment 78930

The reply button...

My photos are geotagged. They display fine on the phone, but when I go to icloud.com/#photos on a computer and download or email the photos from there, the location info get stripped out.

I just did a test... downloaded a picture from my iCloud via web browser... imported the picture into the Photos app on my MacBook - and the location data is there, displays on the photo's info panel - displays on a map.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

When the new Mac photos app is out of beta... along with the iCloud Photos... perhaps there will be an update for the iCloud Control Panel for Windows... -- which, by the way - can sync from iCloud Photos to folder(s) on a PC...

Skippermark

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm using the iCloud app on my PC and it currently only sync My Photo Stream and not the iCloud Photos beta. I disabled MPS when I turned on the iCloud Beta, but turning it back on might be another way to get photos off the cloud.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner