iCloud Drive / Photos Library / Small Storage iOS Devices

bossmike0924

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums.

I have a few questions to ask as I am exploring options with my digital life with Apple.

I currently have a photo library (35-40GB in size). I want to upload it to my iCloud Photo Library. I know the Mac version of photos is not yet available. So I plan to pass the photos through to my iPhone via 3rd party app and add to the camera roll (folder by folder until fully completed).

My question is what happens when you have a 40GB iCloud Photo Library on your 200GB iCloud storage space but you have a device that has less then 40GB of local storage? Does your whole library not show?

I have added many photos onto my iPhone 6 Plus and the photo library is still 10GB+ in size locally (I have selected the option to download optimized versions only).

Does it take time to optimize or is this as small as it will get for being "optimized"? Will the device load thumbnails from the cloud temporarily just display what photos I have? I would really like to know since I have others curious about this as well.

What happens on the Mac side? Let's say you have a 128GB MB Air but your iCloud account is 200GB?

Also...if I just added those photos to a photo folder in my iCloud Drive...any good app out there to view them on my device?

Any help is much appreciated everyone....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have purchased additional iCloud Drive storage space, great, however, you cannot save an amount of items on the device than its storage capacity. Having said that, your 40 GB worth of photos will not inherently fix on a 16 or 32 bit iPhone/iPod/iPad. It may fit on a 64 GB i-Device, depending on the amount of available space on the device. The same applies to your Mac. You cannot fit 200 GB of data on a Mac that's only capable of storage 128 GB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro