So I'm a bit confused...

Before 2 days ago, to access the icloud.com website from a Windows PC...
    • I signed into icloud.com from Chrome on a Windows PC's using my Apple ID and password.
    • This would then take me to the icloud.com website however everything would be locked and a message would request that I verify my login.
    • I would select my iPhone and would then receive an SMS with a 4 digit code.
    • I would type this code into icloud.com and would then be granted access.

However now...
    I sign into icloud.com the same as before using the same equipment and login details except this time, it goes straight in with full access. I.e. No verification.

Maybe I missed a communication from Apple changing this procedure but I don't remember it but after an hour on the phone to Apple Support, I have been told that this is normal procedure now.

If this is the case then I guess that is fair enough (as who am I to argue) but this seems less secure that the old SMS process.

Can anyone else clarify if they have seen a similar change or if they are still receiving the SMS based authentication messages when logging in, in this manner.

Also, for the record, I have carried out the following steps to counter this new behaviour...
    • "Signed out of all devices" in the browser.
    • Clicked the normal "Sign out" in the browser.
    • Deleted browser history, cookies, passwords... basically everything.
    • Tried in incognito mode.
    • Tried in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

ALL of which produce the new behaviour.

Am I missing something or is the new procedure the same for all out there.

Thanks.
    Ste
    10-16-2014 02:12 PM
    I get prompted to verify my account once on each machine I connect from. I have not been prompted multiple times though.

Did you check your security settings for your account. It might be an option there.
    spcurtis81 likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:35 PM
    I hopped onto my Win 7 PC and logged into iCloud and there was no 2 step authentication. I thought the 2 step was only for those logging into iCloud on a new device for the first time, after which it's just a normal login procedure?
    spcurtis81 likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:36 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess there must have been something I had been doing before such as ignoring a "trust this computer" message which caused iCloud to repeatedly request verify. The last time I logged in I must have made a change to this although I don't remember doing so and I'm surprised it effected two systems.

In addition to this, one of the systems I log into my iCloud from the most is my work desktop and I was keen NOT to make this a trusted system.

Incidentally, would you expect an incognito or private browser session to request verify as it should not be able to tell that it is a trusted system?

On a positive note, I don't need to be concerned that I'm any less secure than the other security respecting Apple users out there.

Cheers again,
    Ste
    10-16-2014 05:01 PM