Apple doesn't get it

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
In this day and age, any smart device is just a portal. People expect to be able to access and seamlessly integrate their docs and data between phones, computers at work, computers at home, tablets, be it Android, Windows, Linux, iOS...

In my opinion, Google is the only company that gets it. Too bad, too, as they are Evil.

iCloud doesn't work on iOS, that is you can't access web interface from an iOS device. If a program on iOS acts up, e.g. there's a sync issue, you can't just fire up a browser and access your data online. You have to find a different computer.

iCloud also sucks all by itself. It's excruciatingly slow on my PC. I can fire up Google Calendar and enter a new meeting or task in the amount of time it takes iCloud to load. And forget about working with spreadsheets, Google Docs walk all over Numbers on PC.

And, guess what, I can't access iCloud from an Android device. No sir, to use Apple services, you must use an Apple approved system, or set up a sync between programs.

So why would I want to use iCloud at all ? It's slow, it's very limited, it misses important features like Tasks (Reminders) in Calendar, it practically begs me to use Google services instead. I do want to get away from Google, but unless MS fixes their Live Calendar application, I am stuck for now... Google is fast, full of features, and truly multiplaftorm. MS is not as fast, missing some important Calendar features like search and Tasks in calendar views, but it also works well in most browsers and most systems. Apple seems to exist in a bubble, not that it's a major problem as I can still use their hardware with Google or MS services, but they could be so much more.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You can get iCloud Mail on any device including PCs and android devices because it is fully imap compliant. I haven't tried myself but I think you can get iCloud contacts and calendars on other os's as well. It is also possible to easily and automatically transfer photos to a PC via PhotoStream although I know of no way to get them on an android or other mobile OS.
But yes for reminders and notes and iWork documents you need to use the browser on a non-Apple device.

You can sync with iCloud apps, but you don't have browser access to iCloud from iOS or Android (at least not from Chrome).

The web access is required if there's a syncing issue, and in my experience no sync service is 100% reliable across all apps all the time. The web interface access is then your last resort.

I just kind of hoped that iCloud would offer a better alternative to Google than what MS has. But, alas, Apple is even worse than Microsoft in that respect.

What's funny is that Google isn't even all that great - it's just that the competition is even worse. I'm especially surprised by MS, their Outlook is the golden standard of what a full featured personal information manager should be, yet Outlook.com is pathetically limited.

Last edited:

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
After reading this, I think you make a couple points that I agree with, most I do not. While I understand your rant, I don't think you get it. It sounds like what you're saying is Apple doesn't get that they should see things as you do. Allow me to offer another view.

Apple is, foremost, an integration company. Apple only has iCloud to bind together their ecosystem. When I buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac, and I want my contacts, calendars, mail, etc., all to sync, Apple offers iCloud as a solution so I ultimately buy more of their devices in the future. It is hardware margins that bring them profits. Their services do leave a lot to be desired, in terms of functionality and reliability (that point I agree with you on), but in general, Apple realizes the services only have to be "good enough". You can certainly cobble together iCloud services (most of them at least), on Android, but it's not seamless and a bit of work. Accessing iCloud in a mobile browser is not what Apple wants. I believe it to be a business decision. If folks can access icloud.com on Chrome in Android, they are giving away the services for free, but not selling their hardware. So here, I think they get it entirely. They get who THEY are. As does Google.

Google wants eyeballs staring at ads. They get this accomplished by offering ostensibly free services, some of which are quite good (another point I cede to you). They get more eyeballs by ensuring their services are as universal as possible. They don't make money on Android, nor hardware - it's ad revenue. And they are amazing at web services.

Some have said Google is getting better at hardware faster than Apple is getting better at web services - to that I tend to agree. iCloud is best as an integrated, single solution that binds together Apple devices - and is not a web-based product, at its core.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The web access is required if there's a syncing issue, and in my experience no sync service is 100% reliable across all apps all the time. The web interface access is then your last resort.

Has this happened often for you? The web access is just another view of the same synced data as what is on the client. Not sure I understand.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Has this happened often for you? The web access is just another view of the same synced data as what is on the client. Not sure I understand.

Often is relative... Over the years, I've had some syncing issues, especially when traveling abroad.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
After reading this, I think you make a couple points that I agree with, most I do not. While I understand your rant, I don't think you get it. It sounds like what you're saying is Apple doesn't get that they should see things as you do. Allow me to offer another view.

Apple is, foremost, an integration company. Apple only has iCloud to bind together their ecosystem. When I buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac, and I want my contacts, calendars, mail, etc., all to sync, Apple offers iCloud as a solution so I ultimately buy more of their devices in the future. It is hardware margins that bring them profits. Their services do leave a lot to be desired, in terms of functionality and reliability (that point I agree with you on), but in general, Apple realizes the services only have to be "good enough". You can certainly cobble together iCloud services (most of them at least), on Android, but it's not seamless and a bit of work. Accessing iCloud in a mobile browser is not what Apple wants. I believe it to be a business decision. If folks can access icloud.com on Chrome in Android, they are giving away the services for free, but not selling their hardware. So here, I think they get it entirely. They get who THEY are. As does Google.

Google wants eyeballs staring at ads. They get this accomplished by offering ostensibly free services, some of which are quite good (another point I cede to you). They get more eyeballs by ensuring their services are as universal as possible. They don't make money on Android, nor hardware - it's ad revenue. And they are amazing at web services.

Some have said Google is getting better at hardware faster than Apple is getting better at web services - to that I tend to agree. iCloud is best as an integrated, single solution that binds together Apple devices - and is not a web-based product, at its core.

But what that approach is missing is that we don't have full control over the hardware we use. My work phone, work laptop, walk up workstations, many shared and conference room computers that I have to use while traveling are all owned by others and I have no control over them. Yet I still need to have access to my vital stuff. And I need assurances that data stays secure once I used the device which I will probably never see again. A google or ms account with two factor authentication lets me do just that - as long as I don't do something really stupid, like using a public computer In some Internet cafe.

If Apple makes using their services contingent on buying their equipment, in my opinion it's a very outdated business strategy, as universal and secure access to one's data will become more and more important. And not only for business travelers. I want to use a service that allows me to buy whatever hardware suits my needs the best at the moment, instead of being locked in a single brand which only works with that one service. Otherwise, I'd be already locked into Android, whether I like it or not.

This is the way of the future, I think. You will chose a service that best suits your needs, and pair it with device you like the most, and you switch services and devices independently whenever you want. So far Google seems to be the best setup for this, with MS second best.

It's like email - while every internet provider gives you an email address on their domain, the majority of people by now prefer to use an email address that doesn't change whenever they change service providers. I wonder what percentage of Apple iOS users don't use iCloud for anything but backups.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Different strokes for different folks. Not everything functions the same for everyone. If you've found something that works for you, great. If not, keep looking until you do. Everyone has their own opinions right?

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You know. Instead of complaining about it here, you should leave Apple some feedback on this. Apple - Feedback

I doubt Apple will change their whole strategy because of my feedback. Look at all the negative feedback on iOS 7, that didn't go anywhere. I believe in market dictating the strategy changes - either Apple will adapt and make iCloud a device independent cross platform service, or they will give the services market up to Google and concentrate on hardware.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I doubt Apple will change their whole strategy because of my feedback. Look at all the negative feedback on iOS 7, that didn't go anywhere. I believe in market dictating the strategy changes - either Apple will adapt and make iCloud a device independent cross platform service, or they will give the services market up to Google and concentrate on hardware.

I think your overall premise about what Apple's strategy is false. Therefore, I don't think Apple will change its philosophy regarding cloud services.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You know. Instead of complaining about it here, you should leave Apple some feedback on this. Apple - Feedback

Not that I agree with the OP, but their post is why forums exist. Expressed opinions on Apple products without attacking or insulting any individual. Leaving feedback at Apple's site is great idea but the post is appropriate for iMore forums.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I personally like when people rant and complain on here. It's useful to see what really irks people about Apple - they're no more perfect a company than anyone else, and they don't always get it right.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Not that I agree with the OP, but their post is why forums exist. Expressed opinions on Apple products without attacking or insulting any individual. Leaving feedback at Apple's site is great idea but the post is appropriate for iMore forums.

That can help the OP find a solution to their problem. I don't mind anyone expressing their opinion. It would do more good to give Apple some feedback.

Last edited:

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything you say you have a problem with I can do just fine on my iPhone + iPad. Literally all of it, down to reminders being synced.

Also, the reason you can't access iCloud.com from your mobile device is because there is no mobile version of the site besides the clients that are baked in. I read that the problems were mostly overseas, it's called latency, the further you are away from a server the longer it takes for information to travel back and forth, especially accessing data on server farms in the US from say, Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've said it before, I will write it again...There is NO PERFECT SMARTPHONE device. We ALL have different needs and wants, and we all use or devices differently. Its not whether Apple gets it or not. Its about the individual finding the right device(s) for their individual needs and wants. Not that difficult.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Everything you say you have a problem with I can do just fine on my iPhone + iPad. Literally all of it, down to reminders being synced.

Also, the reason you can't access iCloud.com from your mobile device is because there is no mobile version of the site besides the clients that are baked in. I read that the problems were mostly overseas, it's called latency, the further you are away from a server the longer it takes for information to travel back and forth, especially accessing data on server farms in the US from say, Europe.

You missed the point I am trying to make. Try flying to Mexico, walking into a manufacturing plant that doesn't provide wifi access to unapproved devices, and looking up your flight information on iCloud from company issued Android phone. Try sharing a document on iCloud with people across several different companies all using different systems. Try migrating years of data to another system if you decide to switch platforms. A service that locks you into a particular hardware isn't a service you want to stick with; just like a ISP provided email address, you'll find out sooner or later that using it creates more problems than it's worth.

I've said it before, I will write it again...There is NO PERFECT SMARTPHONE device. We ALL have different needs and wants, and we all use or devices differently. Its not whether Apple gets it or not. Its about the individual finding the right device(s) for their individual needs and wants. Not that difficult.

I fully agree on devices, and I think Apple makes great devices or I wouldn't buy an iPad. The original post was about iCloud. If you want your service to grow and be used, make it universal so that people can use it from any device they own and can feel secure knowing they can access their data at all times and they can stick with it for years without being forced to migrate if they change devices. Google gets it. Microsoft finally gets it. Yahoo still doesn't get it, and I feel Apple either doesn't get it, or simply they don't care and for them iCloud is just a by-product, not something they want to expand to ever more users.

Again, this is not a problem for me; I use Google for calendar / tasks / contacts / email, and Microsoft OneDrive for office documents; they work great, they can be accessed from anywhere on any device, and I can send a link to anyone anywhere and know they will be able to open the document. I just wish iCloud could provide a decent competition to Google services, where Outlook.com still comes a bit short. I don't like Google. Apple definitely has the potential, and the resources, and the system is already in place, it's just about making it work better.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
You missed the point I am trying to make. Try flying to Mexico, walking into a manufacturing plant that doesn't provide wifi access to unapproved devices, and looking up your flight information on iCloud from company issued Android phone. Try sharing a document on iCloud with people across several different companies all using different systems. Try migrating years of data to another system if you decide to switch platforms. A service that locks you into a particular hardware isn't a service you want to stick with; just like a ISP provided email address, you'll find out sooner or later that using it creates more problems than it's worth.

None of that is apples problem to solve , that sounds like multiple industries failing to adapt to a modern ever changing user landscape.

It's a huge problem with business in general, short term thinking in a long term world.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
None of that is apples problem to solve , that sounds like multiple industries failing to adapt to a modern ever changing user landscape.

It's a huge problem with business in general, short term thinking in a long term world.

I beg to differ. I can access Google Calendar, Google email, and Google Drive from any smartphone or computer or tablet regardless of whether they run Android, iOS, Windows, Linux or Mac.

I can access Outlook.com from any device, as well.

With Google and Microsoft services, I can access my data from anywhere, and I can sync it generally to any platform.

With iCloud, though, I am running into all kinds of limitations unless I use Apple hardware, and even then some.

So in my view, this is indeed Apple's problem.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I beg to differ. I can access Google Calendar, Google email, and Google Drive from any smartphone or computer or tablet regardless of whether they run Android, iOS, Windows, Linux or Mac.

I can access Outlook.com from any device, as well.

With Google and Microsoft services, I can access my data from anywhere, and I can sync it generally to any platform.

With iCloud, though, I am running into all kinds of limitations unless I use Apple hardware, and even then some.

So in my view, this is indeed Apple's problem.

Have you had a decent look around the App Store?

Everything you listed, well, there's an app for that.

iCloud isn't meant to do that at all, it's not the purpose of the service.

That's why external services exist to fill the gap.