I used to see 'back up to this computer' checked in my itunes for my 5s. Then I set up iCloud on the fone and said yes to merge contacts with iCloud. Also checked the 'iCloud backup' option on the 'storage and backup' page. I tried 'backup now' but cancelled it after an hour. Next time I connected it to itunes the 'back up to iCloud' was checked. Then, I looked at my contacts in the fone and it was empty. They were gone.

I then turned off iCloud backup, synced the fone, and the contacts came back. And I noticed the 'back up to this computer' was once again selected and the 'back up to iCloud' was unselected. Did I do something wrong? What happened?

For the record, I still have iCloud in place, the contacts option is still on, and alls good. But I have a couple of questions......

1) are my contacts, and the other options selected in iCloud, ACTUALLY backed up to iCloud, by virtue of selecting them? Or are they not since I never completed the backup?
    2) if the contacts are not on the iCloud, then what exactly does the message mean - upon selecting the contacts option - when it says 'your contacts will be merged with iCloud'?
    3) most importantly, I have an unsynced ipad4 and have not turned on iCloud yet. I turned on iCloud for contacts and mail on my fone so I could then turn on the ipad iCloud and merge the mail and contacts info, without itunes syncing it. But I'm afraid the turn on the ipad iCloud cause I don't want things to get screwed up again.

Any help?
    Thanks!!
    12-03-2013 03:04 PM
    I used to see 'back up to this computer' checked in my itunes for my 5s. Then I set up iCloud on the fone and said yes to merge contacts with iCloud. Also checked the 'iCloud backup' option on the 'storage and backup' page. I tried 'backup now' but cancelled it after an hour. Next time I connected it to itunes the 'back up to iCloud' was checked. Then, I looked at my contacts in the fone and it was empty. They were gone.

I then turned off iCloud backup, synced the fone, and the contacts came back. And I noticed the 'back up to this computer' was once again selected and the 'back up to iCloud' was unselected. Did I do something wrong? What happened?

For the record, I still have iCloud in place, the contacts option is still on, and alls good. But I have a couple of questions......

1) are my contacts, and the other options selected in iCloud, ACTUALLY backed up to iCloud, by virtue of selecting them? Or are they not since I never completed the backup?
    Your iCloud information is indeed saved on Apple's servers and will be synced to any device that is configured for iCloud with your credentials. To verify your data is present, log in to www.iCloud.com via a computer.
    2) if the contacts are not on the iCloud, then what exactly does the message mean - upon selecting the contacts option - when it says 'your contacts will be merged with iCloud'?
    They ARE indeed saved in the cloud. The message you're seeing simply means that whatever contacts you have entered that are not yet synced to iCloud, will be added to what is already there.
    3) most importantly, I have an unsynced ipad4 and have not turned on iCloud yet. I turned on iCloud for contacts and mail on my fone so I could then turn on the ipad iCloud and merge the mail and contacts info, without itunes syncing it. But I'm afraid the turn on the ipad iCloud cause I don't want things to get screwed up again.
    Listen, you DO NOT need to use the iCloud backup associated with the iTunes app. Simply uncheck it and select the "This Computer" option under the "Automatically Back Up" section. You can backup everything to iCloud from your iOS device, and I suggest you use it instead of using iTunes for it. There is NO NEED TO SYNC your iCloud stuff via iTunes. Once you enter data into your iCloud account on any of your devices configured with iCloud, it syncs automatically. I cannot stress that enough.

Any help?
    Thanks!!
    See the information via the following link for an iCloud overview...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    jburke82 likes this.
    12-03-2013 03:16 PM
    K.....I was assuming that.
    So on my fone I have mail and contacts selected on, in iCloud settings. I then turned on the same in the ipad iCloud settings. I rebooted, but the contacts and mail on my ipad are still empty. Am I still confused?
    12-03-2013 03:53 PM
    Sorry. The contacts are there now on the ipad, but my many mail accounts are still not......?
    12-03-2013 03:55 PM
    In fact, the only thing that appeared on my ipad are the contacts. I turned everything on, but I only got the contacts. No mail, note, calendars?
    12-03-2013 03:58 PM
    Sorry. The contacts are there now on the ipad, but my many mail accounts are still not......?
    "Many mail accounts"? Please explain.

Just in case, I will share my personal setup with you.

On my iPhone, I have the following email accounts configured:

1. iCloud
    2. Outlook.com
    3. Yahoo
    4. Gmail
    5. AOL Mail

If I wanted to, I could also configure my iPad with all 5 and have the information automatically synced to it without the need for iTunes or even an iCloud backup. That information is already saved via the associated email service's servers.

In your regard, please login to the iCloud website via a computer and verify that ALL of your data is available. Calendar data, reminders, emails, contacts, docs, if any. Check them all. If they are there, then that data WILL SYNC to your iOS device if it is configured correctly. If you think your device is indeed configured correctly, then reboot it and give it time to sync that data. The same goes for any other email account that you've properly configured. Note: if any of your accounts are configured via the exchange setup, please go to Settings-Mail, Contact, Calendars and then select the exchange account. After that scroll down to "Mail Days To Sync" and make sure that "No Limit" is selected. By doing so, ALL email associated with that account will sync to your device. If you have, for example, "3 days" selected then only emails from the last 4 days will sync to your device.
    12-03-2013 04:13 PM
    In fact, the only thing that appeared on my ipad are the contacts. I turned everything on, but I only got the contacts. No mail, note, calendars?
    If you're certain you've properly configured the accounts for your device, do one or all of the following:

1. Reboot your device and then check to see if the information syncs

2. Go to Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings"

3. Verify that you have internet access whether via Wi-Fi or cellular.
    12-03-2013 04:16 PM
    Note: according to the Apple System Status page, multiple iCloud services were having problems. Some still may be having issues.

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
    12-03-2013 04:18 PM
    K. I'll go to iCloud.com and check. But what I meant was on my fone I have five gmail and two yahoo accounts. So when I turned on mail in I loud, I assumed the mail accounts would populate in the mail app and under mail in settings, just like the contacts did. But after rebooting both devices, there are no mail accounts in my ipad except for the two I manually set up when I first bought it. Shouldn't the other accounts be there after turning them on in iCloud settings?
    12-03-2013 04:20 PM
    K. I'll go to iCloud.com and check. But what I meant was on my fone I have five gmail and two yahoo accounts. So when I turned on mail in I loud, I assumed the mail accounts would populate in the mail app and under mail in settings, just like the contacts did. But after rebooting both devices, there are no mail accounts in my ipad except for the two I manually set up when I first bought it. Shouldn't the other accounts be there after turning them on in iCloud settings?
    No only the iCloud Mail will be there. You need to add the other email accounts.
    12-03-2013 04:28 PM
    Gmail and Yahoo are NOT associated with iCloud. Go to Settings-Mail , Contacts, Calendars and then select each account and enable the things you want synced to your device. That should fix the issue you're having.
    12-03-2013 04:28 PM
    Hmm...that explains that. But tell me, what exactly is iCloud doing when you enable/green the option foe 'Mail' in iCloud settings? IOW, I turn on contacts in iCloud, and it populates my contacts in all my iOS devices, but it doesn't populate the mail accounts across iOS devices....so what is it doing when I enable that option?
    12-03-2013 06:20 PM
    Sorry, but same question for calendars, notes, reminders, etc......I enabled all those apple features, but they do not populate across my devices......what gives?
    12-03-2013 06:26 PM
    Hmm...that explains that. But tell me, what exactly is iCloud doing when you enable/green the option foe 'Mail' in iCloud settings? IOW, I turn on contacts in iCloud, and it populates my contacts in all my iOS devices, but it doesn't populate the mail accounts across iOS devices....so what is it doing when I enable that option?
    iCloud is Apple's own service for email, calendaring, reminders, etcetera just like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft all have. They are not intertwined, but they all provide similar services. Therefore, when you enabled iCloud and then enabled email, calendar and whatever else, all you did was tell your device to sync that data between your device and iCloud. If you enabled mail, contacts, calendars, etcetera in gmail setup, that info would sync between your device and Google. The same goes for Yahoo, Microsoft, AOL and any other service.
    12-03-2013 06:28 PM
    To add to the explanation above, the iCloud email, calendars, etc probably didn't seem to appear because you don't have any data in them. i.e., you've never received any email at your iCloud email address, never added an event to the iCloud calendar, etc.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-03-2013 06:47 PM
    Oh okay, that explains it. I thought that by enabling email and Notes and calendar, etc., it was going to sync the calendar and notes apps that comes with my iOS devices but I guess not. Thanks!
    12-04-2013 01:18 AM
    whenever in doubt ,put it in the cloud
    12-05-2013 01:48 PM
    Oh okay, that explains it. I thought that by enabling email and Notes and calendar, etc., it was going to sync the calendar and notes apps that comes with my iOS devices but I guess not. Thanks!
    Example: If you enable mail, calendars, contact, reminders for iCloud, Google, Yahoo & Outlook.com, the data from each of the services will sync to your device, however, you will have a calendar, a contact list, reminders and email for each individual service. You cannot enter information in one calendar and have it synced to each individual service. You can only have ONE default account. For instance, if you go to Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then scroll down a bit, you will see "Default Account". Mine is set for iCloud and therefore, whatever event I initiate in my calendar will automatically be saved to my iCloud calendar. If I want it to sync to my Outlook.com calendar, I would have to select it while entering the event. When you set up a new event, you are given the option to select which calendar you want the event to sync to.
    12-05-2013 03:08 PM
    I use Skydrive instead since I work on a windows os
    12-05-2013 07:04 PM