Hey just a quick question im tired of backing up my iPhone to iTunes so I just started backing up my iPhone to icloud I only have a 5GB plan and it says I have 1.1 available GB after it backed up my phone. So I just want to confirm what was actually backed up? Please tell me if my list is right or add any extra things I'm missing so icloud backs up my contacts, texts, iMessages, photo, my phone settings and apps aswell? Anythinng else? It just seems weird that it backed up all that and used only 4.9 GB.
    iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
    10-17-2013 08:45 AM
    10-17-2013 08:49 AM
    Thanks. I read that I was just surprised it only used 4.9GB
    10-17-2013 09:08 AM
    Thanks. I read that I was just surprised it only used 4.9GB
    It's the data and documents associated with apps, not the apps themselves (other than which apps are installed and their positions on your home screens).
    jaleelhamid likes this.
    10-17-2013 11:18 AM
    It's the data and documents associated with apps, not the apps themselves (other than which apps are installed and their positions on your home screens).
    So in away I need to back up my apps to iTunes than?
    10-17-2013 12:23 PM
    No because when u restore all your app will be re downloaded from iTunes
    10-17-2013 12:28 PM
    No once you have purchased an app it is yours for always. What happens during a restore, is it gets a list of all the apps you had installed and downloads them again and restores their data. There is no reason to keep a copy of the apps in iTunes unless you want to (for example of you had a copy of an older version of an app and wanted to keep it to be able to put back in your device).
    jaleelhamid likes this.
    10-17-2013 12:31 PM
    The only thing you dont get when restoring from an icloud back up is the music and videos, anything else is the same ( if I understand it correctly)... I haven't done an itunes back up in over a year, icloud back up is really cool
    10-17-2013 12:31 PM
    No once you have purchased an app it is yours for always. What happens during a restore, is it gets a list of all the apps you had installed and downloads them again and restores their data. There is no reason to keep a copy of the apps in iTunes unless you want to (for example of you had a copy of an older version of an app and wanted to keep it to be able to put back in your device).
    Oh ok! Thank you So basically all the apps I have downloaded when I restore from icloud they just automatically start downloading basically
    10-17-2013 12:33 PM
    The only thing you dont get when restoring from an icloud back up is the music and videos, anything else is the same ( if I understand it correctly)... I haven't done an itunes back up in over a year, icloud back up is really cool
    That's perfect!! I don't keep music or videos on my iphone other than whatever is in icloud
    10-17-2013 12:34 PM
    Oh ok! Thank you So basically all the apps I have downloaded when I restore from icloud they just automatically start downloading basically
    Yes
    jaleelhamid likes this.
    10-17-2013 12:49 PM
    if in doubt ,put it into cloud
    10-19-2013 03:36 PM
    I recommend you do both iCloud and iTunes encrypted backups. iCloud doesn't back everything up. iTunes does. I do weekly iTunes encrypted backups, and daily iCloud backups. Also, if you do a iCloud restore, all that stuff has to download and use bandwidth, whereas iTunes is local or over WiFi. I also export calendars, reminders, notes, contacts and Safari bookmarks once a week and store in Dropbox. I now have three backups of different things. The encrypted backup to iTunes also saved passwords.
    10-19-2013 04:29 PM