As far as I can tell, there is no way to password protect a Shared Photo Stream when using the Public URL option--is that right?

Assuming it is, can anyone speak to the security of it all? I just tested it out, and it seems that Apple is relying on a longish URL as protection enough (security through obscurity), but I wonder if anyone has had any negative experiences with it? My wife and I are thinking of setting one up to share photos with family (about to have twins) but might also consider a password protected site if need be.

Thanks for any opinions!
    08-11-2013 05:05 PM
    As far as I can tell, there is no way to password protect a Shared Photo Stream when using the Public URL option--is that right?

Assuming it is, can anyone speak to the security of it all? I just tested it out, and it seems that Apple is relying on a longish URL as protection enough (security through obscurity), but I wonder if anyone has had any negative experiences with it? My wife and I are thinking of setting one up to share photos with family (about to have twins) but might also consider a password protected site if need be.

Thanks for any opinions!
    You can share a folder in Dropbox and use the app on the phone to upload to that folder only. That is what I do with my sister. I can add photos or videos to that folder and she can print them or do whatever with them from her house. I copy them to the folder and have her remove them once she see's or does something with them.
    08-11-2013 05:32 PM
    You can share a folder in Dropbox and use the app on the phone to upload to that folder only. That is what I do with my sister. I can add photos or videos to that folder and she can print them or do whatever with them from her house. I copy them to the folder and have her remove them once she see's or does something with them.
    Not a bad idea! I think photo stream might be easier for some of my more technophobic relatives though.
    08-11-2013 06:04 PM
    I used shared stream and invite the people that I want to see it .. I could be wrong but I think it only goes to people that you invite and without a invite and joining then they can not see the stream

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    08-11-2013 07:29 PM
    I used shared stream and invite the people that I want to see it .. I could be wrong but I think it only goes to people that you invite and without a invite and joining then they can not see the stream

For shared streams on iOS that's true; but there's also an option to view online so you can share with non-iOS users. That's the thing I'm wondering about.
    08-11-2013 07:47 PM
    For shared streams on iOS that's true; but there's also an option to view online so you can share with non-iOS users. That's the thing I'm wondering about.
    Hmm I didn't know that was a option .. I have used iPhoto to put in cloud before as a link for people maybe look into that and see if it's secure

08-11-2013 07:50 PM
    Hmm I didn't know that was a option .. I have used iPhoto to put in cloud before as a link for people maybe look into that and see if it's secure
    If you want to try it from your iOS device, look when you tap the + in your Photos app to set up a new Photo Stream. In the set up screen where you choose a title and people to share with, there is a On/Off toggle for a Public Website option. (Handy if you have some non-Mac people in your family.)
    08-11-2013 11:16 PM