AppleCare changes may extend in-store repair options to iOS devices | iMore.com
    Last edited by kch50428; 05-11-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Link to iMore Blog
    Fausty82 likes this.
    05-10-2013 06:34 PM
    I think this could work well. Phone support would now be for a year. Applecare would cover all Apple-things you own. People may have to wait an hour or so for their device to be fixed instead of five minutes to get a newish one out of a box, but I think that's a fair trade-off to have thing be more cost-friendly, and perhaps even more affordable.
    05-10-2013 08:42 PM
    I love it and its about time. I feel like Apple has been treating the iPhone and its service like more of a hobby than the full time venture that it is. This will be huge for their customer service reputation and an extra incentive for customers to make the switch to all Apple products.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    05-10-2013 08:55 PM
    It will all come down to the cost though. Right now I can pay $99 for 2 years of coverage for my iPhone which works out to ~$4.13/month. So they would have to charge the same or less a month to get people to buy into it.

It's an interesting idea for AppleCare to stay with the person, not the product. Right now a product that has some remaining AppleCare coverage fetches a better deal in the resale market. I wonder what would happen there. I'm also wondering if having a store-repaired device vs an officially refurbished one would change the resale value.

I'm not against the rumored changes, I'm just not sure about them and if they would be more in Apple's or the consumer's best interest.
    05-10-2013 09:48 PM
    It will all come down to the cost though. Right now I can pay $99 for 2 years of coverage for my iPhone which works out to ~$4.13/month. So they would have to charge the same or less a month to get people to buy into it.

It's an interesting idea for AppleCare to stay with the person, not the product. Right now a product that has some remaining AppleCare coverage fetches a better deal in the resale market. I wonder what would happen there. I'm also wondering if having a store-repaired device vs an officially refurbished one would change the resale value.

I'm not against the rumored changes, I'm just not sure about them and if they would be more in Apple's or the consumer's best interest.
    It'll be more expensive, for sure. But it will cover all your Apple products. It gives people an incentive to go full-on Apple. Gets them on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    05-10-2013 10:07 PM
    In the case of a broken screen or blown out speaker or bad charger port or battery, that would be awesome. I wonder how beyond that they would gauge what gets replaced and what gets repaired on the spot.

In my case where they cannot figure out why I keep losing my service (and it's NOT carrier related because I have three ATT lines sitting in my lap, and my phone is the only one that loses the signal!), it might be an interesting test of their engineers since no one has yet to figure out the problem!
    05-14-2013 01:24 PM