Why in the world is icloud so agonizing to use?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I started using icloud when I got my iPhone 4S on release day. It's been great all this time but lately whenever I try to login via www.icloud.com all I seem to get is connection errors. Seriously aggravating. Does this happen to anyone else? Or maybe there is something I'm overlooking.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I started using icloud when I got my iPhone 4S on release day. It's been great all this time but lately whenever I try to login via www.icloud.com all I seem to get is connection errors. Seriously aggravating. Does this happen to anyone else? Or maybe there is something I'm overlooking.

Worked fine for me just now... I had issues logging in to my iTunes account most of this morning... it's OK now...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I've enjoyed iCloud from day one and I'm always able to login. As a matter of fact, after reading your post, I logged on to the iCloud website via my MacBook without a problem, as usual so I don't know what to tell you.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Has it been just the past two days, or lately as in weeks? I've had some major issues beginning yesterday and continuing through today.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure, seems like every time I try it lately it spits out an error connecting message. It works fine through outlook, but as you can imagine Outlook is less than ideal for me most of the time, very limited in what it can interact with on the iCloud.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Why's it so expensive to upgrade the iCloud storage. $100 for 50GB....really !!

Sent from my i5.

There shouldn't be a need for that much iCloud storage. iCloud is to backup things like settings, contacts, calendars, apps, and photos in camera roll. My backups for my iPhone and iPad are combined at 4.1 GB, and I have a ton of stuff on them. What's taking up all your iCloud space and requiring you to have such a giant plan?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I accessed iCloud from a computer twice. Mostly just to see if I could. I'm not sure why anyone needs to do so, since your stuff is on your iOS device and iCloud.com doesn't offer anything that's not on your phone - which is why you can't access it from mobile Safari.

What are you trying to do with it that's so agonizing?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me the real question has become, why does iCloud suck so badly? Apple is great at hardware, design, software for their hardware, but they just can't get their act together on cloud based services. Perhaps they should have bought a company that knows what they are doing. I had to replace my MBP and I needed a Windows machine for work and the lack of support in the new MBP's other than a virtual machine that sucks up resources was not an option.

So all I seen popping up in the corner of my screen is iCloud Sync Failure. It won't sync bookmarks correctly, and requires you, no, FORCES you to use IE and I hate IE. I don't use it for anything other than syncing my bookmarks to iCloud via X-Marks which syncs to Chrome. I had to get Outlook 2010 to sync contacts, calendars and tasks because that is the only way to sync them with iCloud and guess what I hate Outlook I found a really nice and free (for a 1 email account, pro version with multiple email accounts) e-mail client called emClient. Its fast, syncs great, ties into my Gmail account and links IM as well. But getting it to work with iCloud has been spotty at best for many.

So I ask Apple why can't you support the vast user base with your devices the right way.

If they actually rollout iRadio sadly it will only be an iOS based service which to me is a bad move, Apple doesn't block iPod users on Windows they have iTunes for windows and that should be the hook, after all its about revenue.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I dont have any issues it works fine for me anytime i use it. Back ups, photos etc no issues. The fact is i dont have to mess with it and the ease of use is what i like about icloud. Zero maintenance.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not as bad as you describe in my experience. But I'll agree the connectivity and speed is nowhere near as reliable as Google's stuff.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
After working without fail for nearly two years my iCloud email stopped pushing notifications to my iPhone & iPad, but my iMac receives notifications just like usual. I have had an open case with Apple Care for over a month now with no end in sight. I have been given every excuse you can think of as to why this is so complicated to resolve, but I sit with a semi-functioning email acct. I think I'll give them another week and if I get no results I'll be forced to switch everything back to Google

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought I had before, but I tried it again just to test your theory. No luck unfortunately. My iPad same for my iPad as well, but like I said before mail on my iMac will notify me the second the email is received. What the hell ?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
For all the people complaining about iCloud and syncing issues with Windows, here's what I have to say. Apple is a computer provider, as well. Their goal is not to simply have you use an iPhone and a Windows computer. The goal is to get Apple users onto Apple products. This includes Mac, iPhone, and iPad. If they had full and perfect support for Windows devices, that wouldn't give anyone an incentive to switch to Mac. Plus, the amount of time and programming energy it would take Apple to perfect a Windows version of all their systems is huge.

If you want the flawless Apple experience, you need to have all the components to make that happen. They have an option available for Windows users, but they never claimed that option to be flawless. You wouldn't buy an HD TV and put a standard definition cable box on it. If you did, you wouldn't get the flawless experience. That's the same thing with Apple products. You need all the right components to make it work.

That said, I'm all Apple and I've never had a single issue with everything "just working." My iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple TV's all work together as they were intended. When my wife first moved in after we got married, she had a Windows PC still. We did have some issues with that working flawlessly with all the other stuff. She promptly switched to Mac and we haven't had a problem since.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Huh? The last complaint was about an iPad. There only seemed to be one post in this thread mentioning Windows.

That being said, I find sync between iOS and Windows to be as easy and seamless as with a Mac, and have never seen any problems.

For all the people complaining about iCloud and syncing issues with Windows, here's what I have to say. Apple is a computer provider, as well. Their goal is not to simply have you use an iPhone and a Windows computer. The goal is to get Apple users onto Apple products. This includes Mac, iPhone, and iPad. If they had full and perfect support for Windows devices, that wouldn't give anyone an incentive to switch to Mac. Plus, the amount of time and programming energy it would take Apple to perfect a Windows version of all their systems is huge.

If you want the flawless Apple experience, you need to have all the components to make that happen. They have an option available for Windows users, but they never claimed that option to be flawless. You wouldn't buy an HD TV and put a standard definition cable box on it. If you did, you wouldn't get the flawless experience. That's the same thing with Apple products. You need all the right components to make it work.

That said, I'm all Apple and I've never had a single issue with everything "just working." My iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple TV's all work together as they were intended. When my wife first moved in after we got married, she had a Windows PC still. We did have some issues with that working flawlessly with all the other stuff. She promptly switched to Mac and we haven't had a problem since.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Huh? The last complaint was about an iPad. There only seemed to be one post in this thread mentioning Windows.

That being said, I find sync between iOS and Windows to be as easy and seamless as with a Mac, and have never seen any problems.

Yeah, there has only been one in this thread, but I see it all the time.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok reinstalled as a new phone ... Still no email notifications. Every aspect of iCloud works. The email itself, calendar , contacts, syncing , and back up are flawless. Just no email notifications.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner