Benefits of switching from Gmail to iCloud for email??

NPBeck79

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same page. Many people that I know do go from gmail to iCloud. In the bottom line I think that it is also a matter of de-googling our apple stuff. Others say that gmail runs smoothly and there is no need to go to iCloud, since the latter experiences some problems every now and then. If to do make the switch, check whether there is a storage limit in iCloud in comparison to gmail. I don't actually remember now if the 5 GB free iCloud storage includes emails or not. But I am also thinking about going iCloud soon.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I see no benefits and if I decide not to use apple anymore it's going to be a hassle to change again. So I'm sticking with gmail.

via Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Gmail for years now. Is there really any benefit for switching to iCloud mail?

Other than the ease in which your data is synced to iCloud and to any of your other Apple products, there isn't any benefits, in my opinion. It is merely a service offered by Apple. If you're satisfied with Google, Yahoo!, Outlook, AOL or any other email account, continue using it. Personally, I like iCloud and it has become my primary account, however, I've also kept my others and use them for various things.

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
True push which will be going away for Gmail users soon...

But I have moved over to using iCloud mainly for everything. And it does a nice job of it.

I still have a few Google App Domains for work, etc.

But personal use I use iCloud.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
One benefit I believe is that with iCloud you have more Calendar options for multiple notifications for appointments from your device :)

GlennRuss

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the fence post over this for a time. iCloud has it's problems, but the "All Mail" in Gmail is a pain. I finally cleaned it out, I do not want a storage of deleted emails on google servers. The problem now, I have to check daily, and clean out the "All Mail" folder, so it will not build up. I am not sure if iCloud keeps deleted email. I wish you could turn off the "All Mail" feature of Gmail. I am also concerned if there is a limit on your iCloud mail, and as stated, does it count against your free 5GB?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the fence post over this for a time.
No problem.
iCloud has it's problems
It has been my experience that the problems associated with iCloud is not as bad as they may appear. iCloud has served me well.
but the "All Mail" in Gmail is a pain. I finally cleaned it out, I do not want a storage of deleted emails on google servers.
Okay
The problem now, I have to check daily, and clean out the "All Mail" folder, so it will not build up.
Why do you have to check it daily? Can you not check it weekly, bi-weekly, etcetera. Is there an option to auto-delete your deleted messages after a certain amount of time?
I am not sure if iCloud keeps deleted email.
When you delete an email message in iCloud, that message is then transferred to the trash folder. It is a safeguard for people who may have inadvertently deleted a message they may still need. However, if you delete the message from the trash folder, it is gone for good.
I wish you could turn off the "All Mail" feature of Gmail.
I will look into this and get back with you.
I am also concerned if there is a limit on your iCloud mail, and as stated, does it count against your free 5GB?
Yes, but you would have to be getting a truckload of email to reach 5 gigs.

UPDATE: In regard to deleting the "All Mail" folder in gmail, you cannot, however, you can "hide" it as well as have it not show in IMAP by making the necessary changes in the gmail settings online.
You can also enable POP3 in the gmail settings online and that will allow your messages to be downloaded to your device or computer and not have a copy on Google's server unless you select the option to keep a copy on the server. When a message is deleted, it is "deleted".

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Now here this, now here this:

For true GMail deleting of emails for iOS, from your iOS device go to m.google.com/sync and then edit your delete options.

Yes, you're welcome :)

I'm still on the fence of fully converting to iCloud just in case one day I switch OS'. Using iCloud on other OS' is not that simple.

col_bris

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts are that Gmail offers a solid cloud base solution for mail and calendar regardless of what platform you are using. It has the best spam control I have used and it is my first choice when any one asks what would I recommend for an email client. This is a summary of how I use iCloud and gmail.

On my iPhone 5 and my partners iphone 4 we use sparrow app which We both find easy to use plus it links direct to gmail. On the iPad I have apple mail as there are times I do not have Internet connection. When Sparrow is offered in a HD version I will switch. In respect to iCloud again I use it only for music, photos messages and apps. I prefer to sync all my devices via wifi to my MacBook as I have better control which device gets what. The MacBook is back up wirelessly to a NAS (WD network drive) drive every hour plus I have weekly backups to a second attached drive. In respect to contacts I personally have not been happy with iCloud as I have had issues with duplications. My partner and I share contacts on the Mac however each device we use only syncs the contacts we want. In respect to calendars I own informant which is installed on all devices this in turns is synced to google calc so regardless of what changes are made on any device they are all updated on the fly. Our music collection is available any where using icloud and itunes match service which is great value.

Using iCloud is a personal choice and for many it is a perfect solution. The bottom line is it is your decision which method suits your home or business. I just donot like having all my eggs in one basket.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Regards Colin, Brisbane Australia
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Now here this, now here this:

For true GMail deleting of emails for iOS, from your iOS device go to m.google.com/sync and then edit your delete options.

nw,
I have used this link before and today it's not giving me the options it did before for my iPhone nor my iPhone.
So if they're preparing to cut the cord on Exchange Sync for new users, then it's beginning to affect current users.
Anyone else?

Good Luck

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
For those who use iCloud I have a question. I use to use it but stopped when I learned I had to do double maintenance (if I read something on my device. It still shows as unread on my MacBook ) is this still the case? I'm looking for a new mail client. I currently use yahoo. Love it been using it for as long as I can remember but it's becoming unreliable from a safety/vulnerability stand point. I was going to consider gmail but if they are going to lose true push then there is no point in me moving to that cause I rarely get on my comp. to check my email. Maybe a handful of times a year. So push is a must have for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For those who use iCloud I have a question. I use to use it but stopped when I learned I had to do double maintenance (if I read something on my device. It still shows as unread on my MacBook ) is this still the case?
No. What happens is if both devices are on and you receive an email message, both devices will show the count badge, if enabled, and if you read the message on one device, the count badge will still show unread on the other device until you initiate the mail app on it. Once you initiate the mail app in that particular device, the message is synced to show that it has been read.
I'm looking for a new mail client. I currently use yahoo. Love it been using it for as long as I can remember but it's becoming unreliable from a safety/vulnerability stand point. I was going to consider gmail but if they are going to lose true push then there is no point in me moving to that cause I rarely get on my comp. to check my email. Maybe a handful of times a year. So push is a must have for me.
if iCloud didn't serve my purpose to my liking, I would not hesitate to make my Gmail account my primary account.

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok I'm going to test this out and just to clarify the 5 gb iCloud storage that is applied to email as well and say for some odd reason I leave apple products behind. I can still access my iCloud email from the web app correct?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
nw,
I have used this link before and today it's not giving me the options it did before for my iPhone nor my iPhone.
So if they're preparing to cut the cord on Exchange Sync for new users, then it's beginning to affect current users.
Anyone else?

Good Luck

Trying putting Https:// in front of it. Does that work?

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
nw,
Anyone else?

Good Luck

You can access the settings options via m.google.com/sync/settings

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods