Benefits of switching from Gmail to iCloud for email??

iandrewj

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've switched from Google mail, calendar as soon as I got my 5.

Once I migrated the calendar info over I deleted the google cal. Also stopped using G maps as well. Nothing Google on my phone ;) I'll keep the account open as I'm going to forward my gmail to iCloud for now.

So far I prefer the calendar and the mail is just as good.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

ryker002

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The only benefit I see is getting away from an organization that believes its the only reason iPhone still exists. Apple has done a great job creating prestigious services, and iCloud mail is one of them. However a disadvantage, and if im wrong then someone correct me, if you want to switch to another phone os its not quite as beneficial.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Gmail for years now. Is there really any benefit for switching to iCloud mail?

I am a bit late on this thread but JustMe'D makes a good point but why not have both email accounts as you don't have to get rid of gmail and have the best of both worlds. That is what I did and you would be surprised how many people on here have multiply email accounts with a unified inbox if they are set up through your iPhone native email app.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had all google accounts when I went with the Android phones. I converted all of my accounts to the iCloud. In reality there are only a very small amount of emails that I really need on a daily basis so, they were all notified of the icloud account. Therefore, on my iphone, I only have the icloud email account and my battery life is much better than if I had my iCloud and google accounts on it.

On my Ipad and Mac, I have the google accounts set up. So, when I get home from work I can read those emails.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had all google accounts when I went with the Android phones. I converted all of my accounts to the iCloud. In reality there are only a very small amount of emails that I really need on a daily basis so, they were all notified of the icloud account. Therefore, on my iphone, I only have the icloud email account and my battery life is much better than if I had my iCloud and google accounts on it.

On my Ipad and Mac, I have the google accounts set up. So, when I get home from work I can read those emails.

Like you, when I made iCloud my primary account, I simply emailed the people in my contact list and advises them of the change and told them to make the necessary changes in their contact list / address books. None of the recipients complained and why would they? To those who really need to get in contact with me more than likely have my phone number. Anyway, thanks for the reply and have a great evening. :)

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have totally switched over to an iCloud @me address, and haven't looked back. It does everything all the other clients do and it works seamlessly with my iMac and iPad.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
There is no benefit to doing something like that, unless you plan on being with Apple's iCloud service for the rest of your life. I think it would actually be smarter to stay with Gmail just to give yourself flexxibility when you want to say move to another platform.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Gmail to iCloud.. Then switched back to Gmail a few weeks later....

Biggest issue was not on devices themselves.. It was the web browser experience from iCloud.com provides at this time...

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Gmail to iCloud.. Then switched back to Gmail a few weeks later....

Biggest issue was not on devices themselves.. It was the web browser experience from iCloud.com provides at this time...

I've done the same thing with iCloud. Web interface on Windows is awful. However I have been trying Outlook.com for the last week and a half. Have gmail forwarded to it. I must say that it has been smooth. Push has been flawless. The web interface is 10 times better than gmail IMO. I have also imported all my google contact and calendar info to outlook.com as well. So far I am very happy with it. Like it better than gmail.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I am a bit late on this thread but JustMe'D makes a good point but why not have both email accounts as you don't have to get rid of gmail and have the best of both worlds. That is what I did and you would be surprised how many people on here have multiply email accounts with a unified inbox if they are set up through your iPhone native email app.

I would have to agree this would seem like the best solution. Unless you just have a yearning to have one or the other having both is not a problem at all. This is what I did for a while until switching back exclusively to Gmail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5780458)

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
None. iCloud email is severely lacking compared to Gmail / Google Apps. It's fine for average smartphone users who just want to quickly create and use an email account that works without any fuss on the iPhone while syncing contacts, calendars, etc.

If I was Mac exclusive then I would use iCloud for everything including contacts and calendars since there are native apps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods