Questions

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to turn on iCloud tonight and have a few things to ask about it.
Will it sync every time I connect to a wifi network, or whenever I plug my phone in at night and or the phone screen goes to sleep and not on wifi only on 3G is it going to eat up data? I haven't been backing up with iTunes as much and this weekend was the first time I have had a chance to back up the wife's iPhone so I was going to turn hers on when I get ahold of it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I finally decided to turn on iCloud tonight and have a few things to ask about it.
I'll try to answer your questions
Will it sync every time I connect to a wifi network
No
or whenever I plug my phone in at night and or the phone screen goes to sleep
My iphone and ipad automatically backs up my data once a day and usually at night while connected to wifi.
and not on wifi only
You will need to be connected to wifi for iCloud backups.
on 3G is it going to eat up data?
It is my understanding that iCloud backups occur with wifi only, however, syncing your contacts, calendar, reminders are either or...I think
I haven't been backing up with iTunes as much and this weekend was the first time I have had a chance to back up the wife's iPhone so I was going to turn hers on when I get ahold of it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backing up via iCloud is great and easy, but I would also create a backup via iTunes. You can never be too careful with your information.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well i did the minor back ups, contacts and photos. Those are my main concern. and i don't mind it backing up when on wifi, As a majority of the wifi usage is at home anyway. I just don't want to be stuck out in the field away from my car charger or any sort of power and have my battery be drained more than normal.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any issues here but then again I'm on Wi-Fi most of the time..

Go for it joe.

Good Luck

Thanks , i set it up, and from what i can tell it will automatically back up when plugged into power. so, i guess i worried too much. but never hurts to ask

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would also create a backup via iTunes. You can never be too careful with your information.

I fully concur with this. It's very important to keep a local backup. If the iCloud goes poof, you can bail yourself out.

Also, to be clear, you can perform a iCloud backup anytime you're on WiFi, by tapping "Back Up Now" from the iCloud settings on your iOS device. You don't have to be connected to power nor does the screen have to be off. The conditions for it being connected to power and screen off refer to the daily automatic backups.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro