• Yes

Votes: 55 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can do away with iTunes if you use iCloud and all that it provides. Unless you want podcasts, then you'd have to sync to iTunes for those.

Thanks, Jeremy. Is there a good guide anywhere that explains iCloud well? I think my issue is that I don't fully understand it's use well enough to take advantage of it. Also, from what I have read, others seem to have issues with storing their pictures in the cloud. Maybe Apple is working on this, though.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks, Jeremy. Is there a good guide anywhere that explains iCloud well? I think my issue is that I don't fully understand it's use well enough to take advantage of it. Also, from what I have read, others seem to have issues with storing their pictures in the cloud. Maybe Apple is working on this, though.

Not sure what issues you are referring to. I honestly have not had any problems occur. Maybe this link from Apple can help you better understand it.

Reactions: Eileen89

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Cool, however, this will have to wait till a JB becomes available for iOS 5.1. No way am I going back to stock iOS again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Well you said that was your issue. Just letting you know the option to delete will be there.

Reactions: Eileen89

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i use it only for contacts because google the iphone didn't import them from google correctly and for find my phone.

i prefer music locally so i have 64 gigs and i have audiogalaxy and 16000 songs in google music. No icloud for music as i'm not paying for that. i'd barely use it anyways. but i find icloud a bit confusing. apple seems to want to hide a lot of stuff. as someone put it about pages vs microsoft word. apple is too much about style in a word processor not enough about function. so it looks good but doesn't work as well as word. that's icloud to me it looks ok but i want a lot more control over stuff, i don't like just setting things to sync. I want to know where the files are and are going. It's kinda like when i tried to use iphoto and couldn't find where any of my pictures where. i hated that. that's icloud to me right now.

plus it should be able to backup all my apps and by the way iphone backups should be 1 to 1 backups; perfect copies.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Both my wife and I have been using iCloud since it was MobileMe. She uses it for her email, Find my Phone, and contacts. I use it as a backup for my contacts and for Find my Phone in case I change jobs. My primary email is my gmail account but I don't trust using it for contacts after seeing the problems my son had with it on his Android. My daughter tried using gmail for everything also when she had an iPhone and it didn't work well for her either, contacts were always getting screwed up. As much data as my wife and I have on all 3 of our devices, we don't use it for backup. I feel better backing it up to each of our laptops.

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
i use it for back up (nightly), contacts (as a reduntant backup), find my iphone (just in case), photostream (simply to wirelessly send pics to my laptop which then syncs to picasa), and i also use itunes match (a must for anyone with a huge library of...lets just say "free" music)

Michmeister

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't figure it out no mail or contacts are in iCloud. I don't have Microsoft 2007 is this why? Nothing is backed up in my I cloud I've tried everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrapp

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Recently switched everything over from Google. With an iMac, iPhone, iPad and a powerbook on the way it seemed to make sense. Didn't like the way iCal and Address book "synced" with Google Calendar and Contacts. Not that anything got screwed up, it was just clunky. Definitely more streamlined to use iCloud.

Only issue I've had so far, push email is occasionally wonky.

capeharleyguy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
iLuv iCloud!!

:DI have an 8GB iPhone 4 that work gave me and I struggled to get any amount of music on my phone. I listen to a huge vast array of different music depending on my mood. iMatch has enabled me to push all 2500 songs to iCloud and still have 2GB free on my puny phone memory. I also put my wifes 4s on my itunes account now she has access to the same 2500 songs all for the 25 bucks per year and I only paid once! Awesome! work the system baby! LOL

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I think iCloud could be a whole lot more. Apple hyped it up so bad that I was disappointed when I actually got to use it. Maybe it's because my iPhone is my only Apple product so I don't get to use the full ecosystem. The only thing I really find useful is the overnight backups.

Thumbs up for...
Backups
Address Book

Thumbs down for...
Photo Stream
iTunes Match
iWork

Last edited:

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think iCloud could be a whole lot more. Apple hyped it up so bad that I was disappointed when I actually got to use it. Maybe it's because my iPhone is my only Apple product so I don't get to use the full ecosystem. The only thing I really find useful is the overnight backups.

Thumbs up for...
Backups
Address Book

Thumbs down for...
Photo Stream
iTunes Match
iWork

The question "Do you use iCloud?" is so broad to me that it doesn't even make sense. Anybody who has ever made an Apple purchase "uses" iCloud to the extent that you have the freedom to delete and then re-install music, apps, etc. through your Apple ID. That is a HUGE feature.

I think the name of "iCloud" is what throws a lot of people off. A "cloud" service can be anything from complete mirroring of devices to a online storage system or web portal. Apple gives you 5 GB of iCloud storage, but as is often the case with Apple, it's not like you have the freedom to do with that space what you will. I think the rumored changes to Photo Stream were the first acknowledgment that they might reverse course and give you some power over what gets retained in the cloud and what doesn't.

I haven't tried to use "Backups" yet, but for Contacts and Calendar alone, iCloud is AWESOME. Having full access to my wife's calendar (and vice versa) has completely changed our household.

Photo Stream is a failure, but I think if they just allow you to delete photos from it, a lot of people will appreciate it. They really should do a better job integrating it with other services, however. If these photos are being shared on other devices, then it should be easier to just log onto the iCloud website and view them on PC so they can be sent to other services, emailed, etc.

It's possible to do all of these things with separate apps already. There are shopping list apps that work like a "cloud" service and can be updated from multiple devices. Google Music is a free "cloud" music service that allows you to access your entire iTunes collection from an internet stream, without using any precious memory space on your device. I think iTunes Match is largely a failure, but I understand what they were trying to do with it. To me, there are just better alternatives out there.

Haven't done too much with iWork yet, but it LOOKS impressive. I think the issue, again, is that a lot of people still have PC's instead of Macs, and if you have iCloud service that deals with Word Documents, Photos, etc., those are things that people want to be able to access freely with their home computer. iCloud allows you to do that, but it could be a lot better.