View Poll Results: How many of you use iCloud?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 82.09%
  • No

12 17.91%
    You can delete them once iOS 5.1 comes out
    Cool, however, this will have to wait till a JB becomes available for iOS 5.1. No way am I going back to stock iOS again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    02-06-2012 02:20 PM
    Cool, however, this will have to wait till a JB becomes available for iOS 5.1. No way am I going back to stock iOS again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Well you said that was your issue. Just letting you know the option to delete will be there.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    02-06-2012 02:35 PM
    Well you said that was your issue. Just letting you know the option to delete will be there.
    Oh, I did appreciate you mentioning that, Garz.
    02-06-2012 02:46 PM
    I don't really trust it, therefore I don't use it. If I had more apple products I'd consider using it
    02-07-2012 08:57 AM
    i use it only for contacts because google the iphone didn't import them from google correctly and for find my phone.

i prefer music locally so i have 64 gigs and i have audiogalaxy and 16000 songs in google music. No icloud for music as i'm not paying for that. i'd barely use it anyways. but i find icloud a bit confusing. apple seems to want to hide a lot of stuff. as someone put it about pages vs microsoft word. apple is too much about style in a word processor not enough about function. so it looks good but doesn't work as well as word. that's icloud to me it looks ok but i want a lot more control over stuff, i don't like just setting things to sync. I want to know where the files are and are going. It's kinda like when i tried to use iphoto and couldn't find where any of my pictures where. i hated that. that's icloud to me right now.

plus it should be able to backup all my apps and by the way iphone backups should be 1 to 1 backups; perfect copies.
    02-08-2012 07:08 AM
    Both my wife and I have been using iCloud since it was MobileMe. She uses it for her email, Find my Phone, and contacts. I use it as a backup for my contacts and for Find my Phone in case I change jobs. My primary email is my gmail account but I don't trust using it for contacts after seeing the problems my son had with it on his Android. My daughter tried using gmail for everything also when she had an iPhone and it didn't work well for her either, contacts were always getting screwed up. As much data as my wife and I have on all 3 of our devices, we don't use it for backup. I feel better backing it up to each of our laptops.
    02-08-2012 09:04 AM
    Use all parts of it, most of them everyday. I love iCloud, it makes my life so much easier.
    02-08-2012 07:22 PM
    I only use it for find my iphone. I use dropbox for what I need, which isn't much.
    02-09-2012 12:08 AM
    i use it for back up (nightly), contacts (as a reduntant backup), find my iphone (just in case), photostream (simply to wirelessly send pics to my laptop which then syncs to picasa), and i also use itunes match (a must for anyone with a huge library of...lets just say "free" music)
    02-09-2012 09:43 AM
    I only use the 'FindMyiPhone' option...
    02-09-2012 09:51 AM
    I can't figure it out no mail or contacts are in iCloud. I don't have Microsoft 2007 is this why? Nothing is backed up in my I cloud I've tried everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-09-2012 09:57 AM
    Recently switched everything over from Google. With an iMac, iPhone, iPad and a powerbook on the way it seemed to make sense. Didn't like the way iCal and Address book "synced" with Google Calendar and Contacts. Not that anything got screwed up, it was just clunky. Definitely more streamlined to use iCloud.

Only issue I've had so far, push email is occasionally wonky.
    02-09-2012 10:44 AM
    I have an 8GB iPhone 4 that work gave me and I struggled to get any amount of music on my phone. I listen to a huge vast array of different music depending on my mood. iMatch has enabled me to push all 2500 songs to iCloud and still have 2GB free on my puny phone memory. I also put my wifes 4s on my itunes account now she has access to the same 2500 songs all for the 25 bucks per year and I only paid once! Awesome! work the system baby! LOL
    02-09-2012 11:01 AM
    I think iCloud could be a whole lot more. Apple hyped it up so bad that I was disappointed when I actually got to use it. Maybe it's because my iPhone is my only Apple product so I don't get to use the full ecosystem. The only thing I really find useful is the overnight backups.

Thumbs up for...
    Backups
    Address Book

Thumbs down for...
    Photo Stream
    iTunes Match
    iWork
    Last edited by CrzyP; 02-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    02-09-2012 12:29 PM
    I think iCloud could be a whole lot more. Apple hyped it up so bad that I was disappointed when I actually got to use it. Maybe it's because my iPhone is my only Apple product so I don't get to use the full ecosystem. The only thing I really find useful is the overnight backups.

Thumbs up for...
    Backups
    Address Book

Thumbs down for...
    Photo Stream
    iTunes Match
    iWork
    The question "Do you use iCloud?" is so broad to me that it doesn't even make sense. Anybody who has ever made an Apple purchase "uses" iCloud to the extent that you have the freedom to delete and then re-install music, apps, etc. through your Apple ID. That is a HUGE feature.

I think the name of "iCloud" is what throws a lot of people off. A "cloud" service can be anything from complete mirroring of devices to a online storage system or web portal. Apple gives you 5 GB of iCloud storage, but as is often the case with Apple, it's not like you have the freedom to do with that space what you will. I think the rumored changes to Photo Stream were the first acknowledgment that they might reverse course and give you some power over what gets retained in the cloud and what doesn't.

I haven't tried to use "Backups" yet, but for Contacts and Calendar alone, iCloud is AWESOME. Having full access to my wife's calendar (and vice versa) has completely changed our household.

Photo Stream is a failure, but I think if they just allow you to delete photos from it, a lot of people will appreciate it. They really should do a better job integrating it with other services, however. If these photos are being shared on other devices, then it should be easier to just log onto the iCloud website and view them on PC so they can be sent to other services, emailed, etc.

It's possible to do all of these things with separate apps already. There are shopping list apps that work like a "cloud" service and can be updated from multiple devices. Google Music is a free "cloud" music service that allows you to access your entire iTunes collection from an internet stream, without using any precious memory space on your device. I think iTunes Match is largely a failure, but I understand what they were trying to do with it. To me, there are just better alternatives out there.

Haven't done too much with iWork yet, but it LOOKS impressive. I think the issue, again, is that a lot of people still have PC's instead of Macs, and if you have iCloud service that deals with Word Documents, Photos, etc., those are things that people want to be able to access freely with their home computer. iCloud allows you to do that, but it could be a lot better.
    02-09-2012 01:45 PM
    I have an 8GB iPhone 4 that work gave me and I struggled to get any amount of music on my phone. I listen to a huge vast array of different music depending on my mood. iMatch has enabled me to push all 2500 songs to iCloud and still have 2GB free on my puny phone memory. I also put my wifes 4s on my itunes account now she has access to the same 2500 songs all for the 25 bucks per year and I only paid once! Awesome! work the system baby! LOL
    iTunes Match does a lot of things right, and a lot of people are looking at using it for no other reason than to upgrade their music files to 256 kbps. That in and of itself may be worth the $25 price to some people.

But I just think that Google Music (and perhaps Amazon, too) is a better service, and it's offered for free. Does iTunes Match allow you to access all of that cloud music from a non-Apple device, or from a PC? Google Music does, and I use it at work. It's even started to replace my 160GB iPod because my Google account tends to be more up-to-date with new stuff it adds from my home iTunes account.

Anyway, glad to hear you like iTunes Match - a lot of people have been negative about inaccuracies in matching your collection, etc. I don't mean to sound like a Google salesman, I'm just surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of it. (Or maybe everybody is just trading real music "ownership" for Spotify)
    raveniphone likes this.
    02-09-2012 01:54 PM
    I use it and I love it. The only problem is that it currently isn't possible to remove photos from photostream.
    02-09-2012 02:06 PM
    It is if you reset it

I use it and I love it. The only problem is that it currently isn't possible to remove photos from photostream.
    02-09-2012 02:49 PM
    Find My iPhone/iPad/Mac, data, backup, documents, reminders, bookmarks, notes and mail.

Calendar and contacts through Google.
    02-09-2012 06:21 PM
    I use it so my wife and I are on the same page. Both our calenders sync and we have a "Shopping List" in reminders that sync to each others phones. I especially like that feature because its a perpetual list that items are easily added to or marked off. We talk a lot, but it seems like I always forget what we needed at the store when she calls and vice-versa. I don't really use the cloud much for backup, but I probably should. I basically use it to have a shared to-do list.
    02-10-2012 10:19 AM
    I have used iCloud from the first day I had my iPhone. I used to use several of Google's apps combined with some 3rd party stuff to sync my old Droid 2, and it never quite worked correctly (double contact entries, songs switching ID3 tags, etc.). The end of that first week when I had my Google stuff in suspended animation while I tried iCloud was the last time I ever used Google to sync ANY of my info. iCloud works so smoothly that I don't notice it. I just know that it is going to work. The #1 reason why I have an iPhone today is the #1 reason I dropped my BB for a Droid and dropped my Droid for an iPhone: reliability.
    02-10-2012 02:44 PM
    I use iCloud for everything except email. I find the email to be lacking, especially when it comes to spam protection. I use Gmail (through my Mac's and iPhone's respective Mail apps) for email.
    02-13-2012 04:36 PM
    I went "all Apple" in December mostly because of the benefits of iCloud. I was using Outlook 2011 but have discovered it doesn't play with iCloud so I'm going back to Mac's native email with anticipation that my Mac, iPhone and iPad will all play nice with each other and share everything.
    02-13-2012 05:07 PM
    I use iCloud for contacts, reminders, and find my phone, mainly. The document side of things seemed to be flaky when I first tried it (lost a couple), so I don't rely on it (and Dropbox just works better for my needs). I'm still using Gmail and Google Apps for email, but I'm just growing more cautious about Google's use of my data (maybe I'm just waking up). It's still one of the better if not best "free" email systems. Still kind of using Google Apps for Calendar, although I'm trying to make an effort to use iCloud for that as well; having a Mac makes that easier.
    02-13-2012 06:38 PM
    I feel like Find My iPhone alone makes it worth using but I also use it for back-up and syncing contacts, calendars and reminders. Definitely NOT Photo Stream. I can add/delete/revise on the road or on the computer and I know that both devices will have it covered.

And I LOVE that it works on it's own every night while I'm sleeping.
    02-13-2012 08:04 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD