Why should I use iCloud

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
iCloud has saved my ass 2 times since its been released. I had to replace my iPhone once as the flash stopped working and I made sure to sync all my contacts/calendar items/ anything I couldn't replace myself to iCloud and here we are.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
iCloud currently can not store pictures in the cloud. Unless of course the pictures are ones you have taken on your phone. And no videos can be stored in the cloud.
so just to confirm, if I take pictures on my camera roll - then the pictures are stored in the cloud and not on my phone; thus freeing up memory?

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
iCloud is my primary backup which happend automatically each day. If I get a new iPhone all my apps/photos/contacts/calendar/settings/etc automatically syncs to the new iPhone once I log in.

so just to confirm, if I take pictures on my camera roll - then the pictures are stored in the cloud and not on my phone; thus freeing up memory?

Kind of... iCloud syncs photos you take with Photo Stream via Wi-Fi. There it is stored for 30 days at a time up to about 1000 photos I believe. It will also sync it to your computer and any other iOS device it activated on with the same account. Once done you can delete the photos on your iPhone effectively saving space (just make sure the photos are sync'd first.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
iCloud is my primary backup which happend automatically each day. If I get a new iPhone all my apps/photos/contacts/calendar/settings/etc automatically syncs to the new iPhone once I log in.

Kind of... iCloud syncs photos you take with Photo Stream via Wi-Fi. There it is stored for 30 days at a time up to about 1000 photos I believe. It will also sync it to your computer and any other iOS device it activated on with the same account. Once done you can delete the photos on your iPhone effectively saving space (just make sure the photos are sync'd first.
Really? I would think if they were synced what you deleted on your phone would be deleted from iCloud and/of computer?

What happens if you try iCloud and don't like it. If you turn it off will you lose anything?

Also what about these horror stories if those who lost all their pictures? Or make double web triple calendar entires? Is that the norm?

I f it would all sync to my computer that is great. Does that mean i should move what I sync in my computer to another "non-synced" folder to keep forever?

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Really? I would think if they were synced what you deleted on your phone would be deleted from iCloud and/of computer?

What happens if you try iCloud and don't like it. If you turn it off will you lose anything?

Also what about these horror stories if those who lost all their pictures? Or make double web triple calendar entires? Is that the norm?

I f it would all sync to my computer that is great. Does that mean i should move what I sync in my computer to another "non-synced" folder to keep forever?

Ah, no. It's a backup. If you delete it from your phone it's still on the backup until the next backup occurs. If you don't like iCloud just backup to your computer, no big deal and nothing lost.

iCloud isn't perfect but no solution is and I haven't had any major issues. The occasional extra calendar entry or contact that didn't sync but I haven't lost anything. Like any backup solution you should have more than one. I use iCloud and my PC. iCloud daily and the PC about once a month.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Does it sync to a Windows PC though? I only use Macs so I'm not sure it will wirelessly sync to a Windows machine.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Does it sync to a Windows PC though? I only use Macs so I'm not sure it will wirelessly sync to a Windows machine.

You have to access iWork apps via iCloud on the browser but all my documents are there and intact if that's what you mean. Everything else syncs just fine.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You have to access iWork apps via iCloud on the browser but all my documents are there and intact if that's what you mean. Everything else syncs just fine.

I was referring to images only, so I guess that's a no as no images are available in the web browser. Which, not that I think about it, would be a good feature for the iCloud web site. A photo tab for those who don't own a Mac and iPhoto...

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I was referring to images only, so I guess that's a no as no images are available in the web browser. Which, not that I think about it, would be a good feature for the iCloud web site. A photo tab for those who don't own a Mac and iPhoto...

Is that images from the camera with Photo Stream? Those sync just fine to my PC. If not those what type of images are you referring to?