How to sync purchasediCloud music after restoring?

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Just restored 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and it won't sync any of my music that I purchased on iTunes. I have it set to sync entire library, all the music is checked but it will not sync. All ripped music syncs fine, it's just itunes purchased music that's the issue. I backup and restore via iCloud and the music is not automatically downloading back to the phone. I can go to iTunes app on the phone and manually download all the music from the Cloud, but there are hundreds of songs. I have both iTunes and my phone set to automatically download purchases. Do I really have to download all the music manually from the iPhone?

Last edited:

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will work, but if you go to Purchased in iTunes, you have the option to download the music again. May be worth a try.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that works but you have to download each song/album one by one. And I have a lot of purchased music. I don't know why it won't just sync from iTunes on the computer since its all in there. It shows up on the phone in iTunes, but it's greeted out and doesn't show on the actual iPhone.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that works but you have to download each song/album one by one. And I have a lot of purchased music. I don't know why it won't just sync from iTunes on the computer since its all in there. It shows up on the phone in iTunes, but it's greeted out and doesn't show on the actual iPhone.

Two options.

1. Make an Everything playlist and then download that through iTunes Match

2. Turn off iTunes Match temporarily and manually add the music from the PC to the phone. Then turn Match back on.

skuhl88

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Just restored 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and it won't sync any of my music that I purchased on iTunes. I have it set to sync entire library, all the music is checked but it will not sync. All ripped music syncs fine, it's just itunes purchased music that's the issue. I backup and restore via iCloud and the music is not automatically downloading back to the phone. I can go to iTunes app on the phone and manually download all the music from the Cloud, but there are hundreds of songs. I have both iTunes and my phone set to automatically download purchases. Do I really have to download all the music manually from the iPhone?

I was having this same problem. What you can do is change your iPhone to "Manually manage music and videos". After doing so review all of your music on your iPhone in via the iTunes drop down menu and delete every song with an exclamation mark or that is greyed out. The iPhone will automatically sync every one of these deleted changes. After deleting all of the "stuck" songs, go back to your iPhone summary via iTunes and uncheck "manually manage music and videos" and re-check "sync only checked songs and videos". After changing this perform a sync and all of your originally "stuck" songs should be back in iTunes AND on your iPhone.

Good luck!:)

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I recently restored as new, and was having issues getting my music to sync properly.
I had double playlists, some songs would download and play from iCloud and some wouldn't, etc.

What finally worked was:
- turning of iTunes Match in iTunes (Advanced-Turn Off iTunes Match)
- turning off iTunes Match on my iPhone (Settings-Music-iTunes Match)
- delete all music from device (Settings-General-Usage-Storage-Music-Edit-Delete)
- in iTunes, uncheck sync music, then click Apply/Synch
This gave me a clean slate to work with.
- next, in iTunes, check synch music
- synch as usual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2