I have an iPhone and iPad setup with the same iCloud account. Sometimes I notice I will get a notification of an email on one device but not the other, however if I go into the email app on that device it will then receive that email... But this could be hours later of actual receipt of the email. I am sure apple is working on these oddities but has anyone else experienced this?
    11-12-2011 07:02 AM
    Are you sure both devices are set for "push" or "fetch" in your e-mail settings. It sounds like one is set for "push" and the other is set to "fetch" manually, change it to "fetch" at a set interval or set it to "push". Keep in mind "push" or more frequent "fetches", will eat up your battery much faster, as it will be checking for updated e-mail constantly. A good compromise would be to set both to check (fetch) for e-mails once every 5 or 10 min. or more. This would save your battery, and most people don't need to get e-mails more often than that.
    11-12-2011 07:40 AM
    yup. its a common thing. push email hasnt worked for me since updating to ios5
    11-12-2011 08:12 AM
    Haven't had any issues at all
    11-12-2011 10:34 AM
    I have an iPhone and iPad setup with the same iCloud account. Sometimes I notice I will get a notification of an email on one device but not the other, however if I go into the email app on that device it will then receive that email... But this could be hours later of actual receipt of the email. I am sure apple is working on these oddities but has anyone else experienced this?
    I have two iPhone 4 devices, one on VZW (work) and one on ATTWS (personal). My ATTWS device gets a notification for new email on a 15-minute fetch schedule before my VZW device almost every time - the settings are identical on each device, sometimes by a minute and sometimes by several minutes. It was the same with my BB devices (using BIS). I've learned to live with it.

You, like almost everyone else, are missing something about the Mail app and its badge - the "push" is to the badge, not to the Mail app. Notifications to the Mail app badge are all done via XMPP. When the Mail app is opened and for iCloud/MM email, the app then refreshes or fetches email changes (reconciling) when on Push or Fetch settings; the Mail app will fetch according to the Fetch schedule when set to "Fetch". On "Push" for iCloud email the Badge and Mail app aren't synced, by design. Apple may be "working on it" but IMO they've got other bigger issues to resolve first. IMO give up the whole need to keep your devices both set to "Push" - either set both to Fetch or keep just your primary device set to Push and your slave device set to Fetch (and the slave will reconcile automatically in the background). I keep a WebOS device (with real IMAP for MM/iCloud - go figure?) running in the background to notify me of emails - it even beat my BES server and BB BIS which is partly why I keep it around.
    11-13-2011 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD