I'm anxiously waiting to use iCloud, honestly -think it will be great!
    11-09-2011 03:25 PM
    I have only been restoring contacts from the iCloud. I don't back anything else up to the iCloud thing besides reminders, which I haven't used really at all. I don't/haven't restore(d) anything from a backup. I have set up each of these iPhone4S's as a new phone and then sync my music, movies and apps back onto the new phone. I initially wondered if something in my first backup caused this whole weird searching thing but it hasn't been fixed by setting up as new.

I just tried to remove all contacts from the phone, restarted/reset the phone and reactivated the contacts and ended up again with duplicates. So I am going to have to go through again and erase all the duplicate contacts again and just assume now that it's a kink in the cloud system. It seems to also figure out how to aggregate all my google based contacts and back those up to the cloud also. Which is creepy.
    OK if I were in your shoes here is what I would do. It's always good to start from scratch so go into System Preferences look for iCloud and log out of the account that will turn off iCloud on the Mac. Then go onto your phone and again under iCloud log out and remove the contents from the phone. Then reboot the phone, then go to icloud.com and login go through your addressbook there and make sure there are no duplicates and there are no duplicate groups. Then turn on iCloud on the Mac and open AddressBook and make sure everything looks good. Then go to icloud.com and look at your addressbook again and see if there are any duplicates. If there aren't any then turn on iCloud on the phone and do a sync in iTunes and then go to iCloud.com and look in the addressbook and see if there are any duplicates. This will help you to figure out what part of the process the duplicates come in and it will help you to determine what might be causing it. It will also reset the iCloud account which could be a good thing after it gets messed up.
    11-09-2011 03:51 PM
    I will aim for that tonight.
    11-09-2011 04:18 PM
    Cool let us know what happens
    11-09-2011 04:38 PM
    Sure will. I just got home, starting the process now.
    11-09-2011 05:58 PM
    So I am now on my 3rd iPhone4s and will likely be on my 4th shortly. Every time I get a new one, it syncs all of my contacts again, and duplicates everything. So being on my 3rd one, after setting it up on my loaned 4...I now have 4 of everyone. I just spent an hour deleting the duplicates, which I am scared I overdeleted or something. I have most backed up in gmail but still.
    Start off with NO local contacts on your phone. Start with a blank slate and you won't have the same issues.
    11-09-2011 08:45 PM
    Ok I just got done testing a bunch of stuff. I did it Ipheuria's way and it didn't solve it I ended up again with 4 of everyone and I seriously do not know why it duplicates everyone. Then I did it impalers way. It worked fine for about a half hour. I went back in to call my sister, and all the sudden I had two of everyone again. I wiped the phone completely and restored to factory. I ONLY imported my google contacts. That was fine. I then decided to sync my contacts WITHOUT iCloud on or entered in at all. That was fine. Before I turned it on, I deleted everything off my iCloud (i have them all backed up). Then I logged in to my iCloud to sync them. That worked. I just looked down, about another half hour later...and now I have doubles of everyone again.

SO, I am going to wipe it entirely again. Copy all of my contacts into Google and be done with this iCloud nonsense for a while.
    11-09-2011 09:18 PM
    I'm thinking it has to be because your synching your contacts with google also, stick to iCloud or google. Your probably getting a contact from each and that's why their duplicating. If your stop the google contacts and only have iCloud that might be your problem.

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5
    11-09-2011 11:39 PM
    I'm thinking it has to be because your synching your contacts with google also, stick to iCloud or google. Your probably getting a contact from each and that's why their duplicating. If your stop the google contacts and only have iCloud that might be your problem.

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5
    But they are not the same list of contacts. I don't have a single duplicate between them. I killed iCloud last night except for reminders and find my iPhone, so they are all on Google now.
    11-10-2011 08:27 AM
    wow very weird, sorry I couldn't help man atleast we all gave it the good old college try
    11-11-2011 08:14 AM
    True that, and I appreciate it.

PS--chick, not man. lol
    11-11-2011 10:39 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD