I was a little bummed out today. I setup a Genius app because my iPhone 4S headphone jack isn't working right. I go in to get a replacement and get the Applecare+ added on. All they had were refurbished units so I couldn't get Applecare+ because It has to be activated on a "new Phone"..... Ok fine.
    So I get my New iPhone pop in the sim and go to restore from backup via iCloud...... Well, Apparently I need wifi to restore it?

This does't make any sense to me.. That means, I should be caring around a wifi hotspot with me, or I should have everything backed up on a Macbook and carry it around with me or go home and sit and wait at my iMac or wait at my wifi network....... I thought the whole point was to be able to get most of your settings without being connected?
    Why did I just pay for iCloud storage..... I'm now finding iCloud not really the best way to restore.....

Starbucks, Apple Store have wifi but its too slow..... I'd have to wait 5 hours, base off of what my phone says... So I finally got home and I'm writing this while restoring....Am I missing something?
    10-31-2011 06:27 PM
    Um..... My iCloud backup is over 4Gb. If you want to try to restore that on 3G, then be my guest....

It only works on wifi for obvious reasons. #1 it will destroy your data plan's limit, and #2 it will take forever on 3G.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    10-31-2011 10:20 PM
    I was a little bummed out today. I setup a Genius app because my iPhone 4S headphone jack isn't working right. I go in to get a replacement and get the Applecare+ added on. All they had were refurbished units so I couldn't get Applecare+ because It has to be activated on a "new Phone"..... Ok fine.
    So I get my New iPhone pop in the sim and go to restore from backup via iCloud...... Well, Apparently I need wifi to restore it?

This does't make any sense to me.. That means, I should be caring around a wifi hotspot with me, or I should have everything backed up on a Macbook and carry it around with me or go home and sit and wait at my iMac or wait at my wifi network....... I thought the whole point was to be able to get most of your settings without being connected?
    Why did I just pay for iCloud storage..... I'm now finding iCloud not really the best way to restore.....

Starbucks, Apple Store have wifi but its too slow..... I'd have to wait 5 hours, base off of what my phone says... So I finally got home and I'm writing this while restoring....Am I missing something?
    I never knew this but you would assume thats how it works. You need wifi to backup to the cloud. So it only makes sense you need wifi to restore from a backup in the cloud.
    11-01-2011 02:04 AM
    I was thinking this was a trickle type think for the restore and it would connect where it could.... No that I want to do it over 3G.... If I'm out or at work that pretty much sucks
    11-01-2011 09:09 PM
    Um..... My iCloud backup is over 4Gb. If you want to try to restore that on 3G, then be my guest....

It only works on wifi for obvious reasons. #1 it will destroy your data plan's limit, and #2 it will take forever on 3G.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    Yep, 3.7Gb here. No way on earth would I even want to restore using 3G.
    11-02-2011 02:09 AM
    Although I see everyones point however I think that there should be an option that you can set that it will use 3G if WiFi is unavailable. Personally I have Unlimited data still and I never use wifi and the other day I noticed that my data was way out of date on iCloud because I don't connect to wifi.
    11-02-2011 10:36 AM
    I agree, very good point.
    11-03-2011 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD