iCloud delivery of email

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I think currently the iCloud email system is not 100% consistent with notifications or PUSH. I'll stick with GMail for now. Here's hoping come December time, the Apple servers get a break and the service starts to work better...

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I do wish that Google Calendar offered two notifications\alerts for the Calendar items\reminders like Apple\iCloud does...

I think this is what you are saying... Google Calendar offers multiple notifications options. As for reminders/tasks I use the tasks on the desktop calendar and the "GoTasks" app on the iphone. Works and syncs flawlessly for me.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
bgl321, what I meant was, on the iPhone/iPad when creating a Calendar item, you can only set one alert\reminder. But, with iCloud\Mobile ME, you have the option for TWO Calendar alerts\reminders per event that you add to the Calendar.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
bgl321, what I meant was, on the iPhone/iPad when creating a Calendar item, you can only set one alert\reminder. But, with iCloud\Mobile ME, you have the option for TWO Calendar alerts\reminders per event that you add to the Calendar.

Oh, Ok! Much clearer now :)

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
This has been pissing me off to no end too. Ive been paying for MobileMe for years now and I migrate to iCloud and email delivery sucks. Im missing or not getting important emails. I see the battery life has been an issue, but not one blog has mentioned anything about iCloud not pushing email. Im extremely frustrated. Heres a thread on apple discussion forum. look over to the right under related topics, tons of them over 1,000 replies to iCloud not pushing email, havent heard a word about it on the blogs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401374?start=0&tstart=0

B

bonesb

Oh, Ok! Much clearer now :)

No, no it isn't. Google's implementation of EAS supports one alarm/reminder. Exchange/Hotmail support one alarm/reminder.

Google's native calendar, its implementation of CalDAV supports two alarms/reminders - as does iCloud/iCal. It's CalDAV that supports two alarms/reminders.

One can run Google EAS and Google Calendar simultaneously, alongside each other. Google EAS will only support one alarm/reminder per event - period.

Of course, all of this is documented in each entity's help.

B

bonesb

This has been pissing me off to no end too. Ive been paying for MobileMe for years now and I migrate to iCloud and email delivery sucks. Im missing or not getting important emails. I see the battery life has been an issue, but not one blog has mentioned anything about iCloud not pushing email. Im extremely frustrated. Heres a thread on apple discussion forum. look over to the right under related topics, tons of them over 1,000 replies to iCloud not pushing email, havent heard a word about it on the blogs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401374?start=0&tstart=0

MobileMe/iCloud isn't "push" email on the iPhone - never has been. Look up XMPP publish-subscribe (pubsub) - Jabber - Apple pushes notifications that you have Apple email, opening the application refreshes your queue, just like other developers transmit notifications. Apple's been loving XMPP since OS X 10.4.

Yahoo has its own proprietary flavor of "push" - but it's not true push email either. The Mail app does support IMAP IDLE for other providers, including Google. Go figure.

I switched my iCloud accounts to Fetch and no longer have delivery issues. YMMV. Apple does need to get their act together. I don't use my Apple accounts for mission-critical correspondence, giving up on them some time ago.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying\trying to say here...

To clarify, are you saying if someone has Google\GMail on an iPhone\iPad setup as Exchange they can add TWO alerts\reminders to a Calendar item?

If so, please provide the steps to do so...

No, no it isn't. Google's implementation of EAS supports one alarm/reminder. Exchange/Hotmail support one alarm/reminder.

Google's native calendar, its implementation of CalDAV supports two alarms/reminders - as does iCloud/iCal. It's CalDAV that supports two alarms/reminders.

One can run Google EAS and Google Calendar simultaneously, alongside each other. Google EAS will only support one alarm/reminder per event - period.

Of course, all of this is documented in each entity's help.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I need something clarified here...

Does iCloud [me.com] support PUSH, or not?

I know I can search Google etc, but seems we have conflicting answers, just want to see what people say here...

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I need something clarified here...

Does iCloud [me.com] support PUSH, or not?

I know I can search Google etc, but seems we have conflicting answers, just want to see what people say here...

FWIW,

On my iPhone 4, I turned on Push for mail temporarily (I usually Fetch) and turned it on for my iCloud account. I sent an email from Gmail on the web, to my me.com address on iCloud and within 10 seconds my banner popped up to notify me that I had a new email. Seems like Push is working.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My iCloud account doesn't work with my Mac mail client. For some reason I can set it up fine and it will sync and then a while later I get a pop up asking for the password and I'll type it in and it won't work. I've tried deleting the account on the mail client and it does the same thing each time. Any suggestions?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...do you have special characters in your password? Maybe try resetting it without any.
Also, do you have a firewall\virus checker? Maybe turn it off for a moment, to test, and see if it works then.

My iCloud account doesn't work with my Mac mail client. For some reason I can set it up fine and it will sync and then a while later I get a pop up asking for the password and I'll type it in and it won't work. I've tried deleting the account on the mail client and it does the same thing each time. Any suggestions?

Reactions: leharris22

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
...do you have special characters in your password? Maybe try resetting it without any.
Also, do you have a firewall\virus checker? Maybe turn it off for a moment, to test, and see if it works then.

I just have standard alphanumeric...numbers and letters. I don't think there's a firewall. The mail client fetches the rest of my accounts. Thanks, though.

B

bonesb

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying\trying to say here...

To clarify, are you saying if someone has Google\GMail on an iPhone\iPad setup as Exchange they can add TWO alerts\reminders to a Calendar item?

If so, please provide the steps to do so...

iOS supports multiple "alarms" in terms of CalDAV. "Native" Google accounts are, in essence CalDAV. Exchange and Exchange ActiveSync are entirely different animals entirely. And, to further confound you - look, I'm trying to be helpful here - Google DOES NOT implement the most-current version Exchange ActiveSync (for which there are multiple protocols, the most recent is 14.1), Google does its own thing, as does Apple.

If you'd use Outlook on a real Exchange account (Mac or Windows), you'd have a "Main" account. On Google, you'd have a "Main" account. We don't communicate with our iPhones through "Exchange" - though that's what our iOS device categorizes some of our accounts as; Google EAS is NOT Exchange - it's Google's implementation of EAS, and EAS is not Exchange. Regardless of this, and to address your question, on our iOS devices and through an Exchange account multiple alarms is not possible. Period. However, Google in their native iOS Gmail account uses CalDAV - and CalDAV allows for setting multiple alarms for each event (and so does Google CalDAV), so when we're using the Google web interface or iCal or iOS device we're essentially we're accessing CalDAV (rather, Google's implementation of CalDAV).

I know there's a lot of frustrated people out there, and on this forum, but it's Google and Apple that aren't documenting a "matrix" of what we can do with each account on our devices. I access my Google Premier Account email via the native client, but Google doesn't allow me to delete an email from the Mail client by their design when I swipe when it's a native Google account (I can only archive) but I can delete an email from an EAS (Exchange) account - go figure. So, I set up my work Google account for EAS but limit it to email only, and as a Google account for calendaring so I can set multiple alarms. Maddening? Yes, absolutely. I learned to take advantage of these services so that they work for me and not to get so nuckin futz about it...

Not to mix providers here, but think about this. Hotmail - it's POP on the Mac and Windows, but iOS supports IMAP and the desktop clients don't. iOS supports delegate calendars (as CalDAV but the desktops do not) - actually better than Windows Phone 7. iOS supports reminders but both desktop platforms don't. Same for Yahoo accounts...

Exchange for Google, isn't. It's Google's implementation of EAS - but they generally list what they use and what they don't in their Help section. Exchange does not support multiple alarms on iOS and, therefore, Google's implementation of EAS on iOS does not (including mapping of calendar colors). Google's implementation of CalDAV on iOS does support multiple alarms (including mapping of calendar colors). Google supports almost instantaneous updating of calendars via Google EAS, but (about) 15 minute updating via Google CalDAV. There's more - it's all documented, you've just got to pick what's more important to you. At least Google gives us options...

B

bonesb

iCloud has had lots of issues since before it was deployed. Check what's going on with iCloud here:
Apple - Support - iCloud - System Status

I'm an iOS developer, the Status page is on my list of bookmarks. I know that others are trying to be helpful, and devs have access to a list of forum threads the general public does not. Frankly, iCloud is a work in progress - the devs had exactly the same password problem for several weeks before it's public release, on iOS and desktop clients. Besides the whole "woulda/shoulda/shoulda" thing, iCloud was having issues just yesterday, again - I checked. While at least one user was trying to be helpful, it was and is Apple's problem (I was having problems too and saw the status issues for myself). It's not you, it's them...

B

bonesb

FWIW,

On my iPhone 4, I turned on Push for mail temporarily (I usually Fetch) and turned it on for my iCloud account. I sent an email from Gmail on the web, to my me.com address on iCloud and within 10 seconds my banner popped up to notify me that I had a new email. Seems like Push is working.

"Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app isn't push email. "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app is a notification that you have mail, and the message count is a badge that shows up on the Mail app icon (notice how we can now toggle the message count on/off in Notifications?).

So you "got lucky" - I used to test my iPhone on iOS 3/4 against my BB (both BES and BIS), and it was a crapshoot. It's still a crapshoot. The iOS Mail app supports IDLE only when it's open. The Mail app badge uses XMPP notifications for iCloud mail - not push. Don't believe me, download the iPhone Configuration Utility and read the console feedback for yourself...

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just don't know what to do. I've tried deleting it from the Mac and re-configuring it and it won't set up properly on the Mac mail client. It works fine on the iPhone and web, just not the Mac.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
"Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app isn't push email. "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app is a notification that you have mail, and the message count is a badge that shows up on the Mail app icon (notice how we can now toggle the message count on/off in Notifications?).

So you "got lucky" - I used to test my iPhone on iOS 3/4 against my BB (both BES and BIS), and it was a crapshoot. It's still a crapshoot. The iOS Mail app supports IDLE only when it's open. The Mail app badge uses XMPP notifications for iCloud mail - not push. Don't believe me, download the iPhone Configuration Utility and read the console feedback for yourself...

Thank you, I have a much better understanding of how it works now! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW