icloud backup issues on vzw iphone 4

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
For some reason my iphone 4 (verizon) does not backup automatically although this feature is turned on. When selecting manual backup in the icloud location on the phone I either get an estimated time of 18 hours or no estimated time at all and the bar at the bottom doesn't even move. My wife's phone is also set to automatically back up, but fails to do so. I did a manual backup on her phone last night over the air and it was done in about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any real solutions for being able to at least do a manual backup that doesn't take an entire day? If possible, an automatic backup would be nice but I wont ask for too much :D

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I found one way to speed it up....

Under Settings, iCloud, Storage & Backup, Manage Storage, click on your phone, turn off Camera Roll. For only having 36 photos on my 16 GB phone, it was not allowing the backup to go through. By turning the camera roll off (for backup purposes) it took maybe 10 minutes to backup.

My question is this and it maybe a stupid one....Is there anything else contained in the "camera roll" besides just photo's and videos? I find it hard to believe that only 36 pictures takes up 3.2 GB's.

Thanks

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For some reason my iphone 4 (verizon) does not backup automatically although this feature is turned on. When selecting manual backup in the icloud location on the phone I either get an estimated time of 18 hours or no estimated time at all and the bar at the bottom doesn't even move. My wife's phone is also set to automatically back up, but fails to do so. I did a manual backup on her phone last night over the air and it was done in about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any real solutions for being able to at least do a manual backup that doesn't take an entire day? If possible, an automatic backup would be nice but I wont ask for too much :D

How much stuff do you have on your iPhone? Since it's going to iCloud via the internet, I assume the backup is hindered by your upload speed.

My Time Warner Cable connection only does about 1.5Mbps up, so if I had say, 2GB of data to upload? That would take my internet connection roughly 3 hours.

Also, do note that backups count against your iCloud storage limit. So if you have a 5GB of storage and your iPhone wants to backup 6GBs of data, that's just not going to work. I do believe you're able to choose what you want backed up in the options.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response...Under settings and Usage it shows that I have used 10.4 GB and 3.3 GB available...however, with the Camera Roll as part of my iCloud backup I have 1.5 GB avail out of the basic 5 GB allowed (although it will not backup...by not allowing the Camera Roll to backup I have 4.8 GB avail left on the iCloud. Like I said, its hard to believe that 36 pictures (and no videos) take up a difference of 3.3 GB (or so) when I have an 8 GB jump drive with hundreds of photos. I didn't know if there was anything included in that "Camera Roll" other than just photos considering the amount of GB used. I am uploading via a Verizon MiFi card 3G. I just ordered a 4G as their 4G just became available in our area. Not sure if that will help at all.

KrispyKrink

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I am uploading via a Verizon MiFi card 3G.

That and you're earlier use of the term "over the air" is why it's so slow. Verizon 3G is very slow, in some cases I get better 2G EDGE speeds on other networks than Verizon 3G.

iCloud backups are meant to take place while you're connected to a home WiFi LAN connection.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense...luckily I transfer my pics from my phone to a jump drive routinely so the loss of my PC wasn't a huge issue and it doesn't create a large issue for backing up to icloud.

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
with iCloud backup it does an auto backup only when you charge the phone.

"A smarter way to back up your info.
You have all sorts of important stuff on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iCloud automatically backs it up daily over Wi-Fi when your device is connected to a power source. Once you plug it in, everything is backed up quickly and efficiently. That?s because Backup is like everything else in iCloud: convenient and completely effortless."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods