What is the purpose of icloud?

dhaymark#IM

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I have always used the same Apple ID for shared purchases and iPhone backups. Now, our iPhones are syncing to the same iCloud! :eek: What do we need to do?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so if icloud only gives you 5.0GB of space and you have used 11.5 GB of space on your phone with all your music pictures apps ect you have to buy more space from icloud to hold all your data? you only get 5.0GB of space?

whispa777

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I have always used the same Apple ID for shared purchases and iPhone backups. Now, our iPhones are syncing to the same iCloud! :eek: What do we need to do?

We have this situation as well and our solution is this:
- Use same AppleID for itunes app purchases and syncing to the computer (itunes), this way we don't have to pay for the same app twice.

- Use 2 different AppleIDs when syncing to the cloud, yes, this is supported and it works. So we're backed up separately over the cloud and each have 5 gigs and our calendars etc.. doesn't get mixed up

James4455

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Where is the 'photo stream uploads' folder?

they show up in an album called "photo stream" on the device(s). my favorite feature of photo stream is the ability to drag photos on my PC into the photo stream uploads folder and having them magically pushed to my 4S and iPad2. I LOVE not having to plug each device in and sync the pictures.

I think it sounds like it would be a good thing. I just don't see a folder by that name.

Also, how do you delete photos that you take with your iPhone that automatically go into photo stream and you don't want to keep them?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
so if icloud only gives you 5.0GB of space and you have used 11.5 GB of space on your phone with all your music pictures apps ect you have to buy more space from icloud to hold all your data? you only get 5.0GB of space?

You sure ask a lot of questions.

creighton

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it sounds like it would be a good thing. I just don't see a folder by that name.

Also, how do you delete photos that you take with your iPhone that automatically go into photo stream and you don't want to keep them?

You can't. They are there until they get dropped off after 30 days.

Last edited:

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but I'd rather not create a new one for my similar question...

I'm just curious if I'm missing something with iCloud, but I can't see where it fits for me. I'm firmly a Gmail user (including contacts and calendar). I have an iPhone but no iPad, so don't need apps/data synced between any devices. I don't particularly care to upload my photos to a stream (I'd be fine with it, but ultimately I'd want them all backed up locally with all my other photos). I won't be using iTunes Match.

So, the only feature I can see that appeals to me is perhaps the automatic backups of apps/data. But, since I need to sync my music locally anyways, I still need to sync with iTunes, so is there a benefit for me? I guess there's a difference between syncing and backing up, and I've noticed my iPhone backups take up a decent amount of local space.

I guess I *think* I want to turn on iCloud but not without a reason :)

Thanks for any tips.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but I'd rather not create a new one for my similar question...

I'm just curious if I'm missing something with iCloud, but I can't see where it fits for me. I'm firmly a Gmail user (including contacts and calendar). I have an iPhone but no iPad, so don't need apps/data synced between any devices. I don't particularly care to upload my photos to a stream (I'd be fine with it, but ultimately I'd want them all backed up locally with all my other photos). I won't be using iTunes Match.

So, the only feature I can see that appeals to me is perhaps the automatic backups of apps/data. But, since I need to sync my music locally anyways, I still need to sync with iTunes, so is there a benefit for me? I guess there's a difference between syncing and backing up, and I've noticed my iPhone backups take up a decent amount of local space.

I guess I *think* I want to turn on iCloud but not without a reason :)

Thanks for any tips.

I was in the same boat as you regarding Gmail / iCloud. I went ahead and turned it on and use it for syncing of Contacts (never bothered doing that with Gmail), Reminders, Notes & Bookmarks. I have my iCloud email on there too, but I don't really use that, it's just "there". It's nice for backup and sync and I have a feeling it will be even more useful when more Apps take advantage of it.

It's nothing earth shattering though if you're firmly a Gmail user and happy with your sync options there. It's just nice to have as an option. :)

CPUGEEK

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
How do you all feel about your personal info and photos being uploaded to who know wheres when who knows who can see it

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
How do you all feel about your personal info and photos being uploaded to who know wheres when who knows who can see it

Excellent question. I have been very careful about what I load to Flickr or Facebook. I tend to trust Apple a little more, though...

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site

Excellent question. I have been very careful about what I load to Flickr or Facebook. I tend to trust Apple a little more, though...

I've been struggling with this too. I've come to accept that Google and Apple know everything about me, based on the assumption that if either of them ever did anything really inappropriate with user data, they'd be hurt severely. I'd never knowingly trust a smaller or unknown company with this data, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro