iCloud - more trouble than it's worth

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think iCloud is a load of hype. More trouble than it's worth and I for one don't plan on using it in the near future.

I'm quite happy syncing my iPhone with iTunes via USB too, thank you very much.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm enjoying it fairly enough. I don't think I'm going to use it much for holding my backups, my storage is already mostly full with my iPhone backup and can't even hold the iPad one...

I very much enjoy the syncing on calendars and contacts on my devices especially now with iMessage, and I LOVE that I can have the phone syncing via USB and still be able to use it!

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm more excited about the smaller tweaks in iOS 5. We'll see about iCloud. I'm not hyped up for it, but it's still early.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it works great. I'm a google guy, but after syncing my address book with gmail, and then with iCloud, gmail has been disabled and everything is now on iCloud it was a really easy change over and pretty much does what my Google account did, except it works seamlessly amongst all of my Apple devices. This for me is a big deal since I'm completely immersed in the Apple eco system as of tomorrow when I get my shiny new 4S.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think iCloud is a load of hype. More trouble than it's worth and I for one don't plan on using it in the near future.

Could you please elaborate why iCloud is nor worth it ??....

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

If you are having problems I can see your point, but that being said I think the first time you restore a new iDevice via your iCloud settings or you start bouncing between the same iWork document on various devices with changes in sync your opinion will change. It is that kind of "magic" that Apple is striving for and it is most definitely not "hype."

I thought I was going to feel the same way since I have been USB syncing iPods and iPhones since they were first released, but after one day of wi-fi syncing I am completely "sold" ... it is so much more convenient, not only with my iPhone but with the other iPhones I "manage" with various family members.

I think you need to give these new features a fair chance... cheers ...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
While it's not for everyone I personally love it. I've been dying for it since they announced it at WWDC. My wife and I have MBP and iPhone, then there's my iPad. So before the routine was if I bought an app or song I would sync it to my iTunes then we would both have to turn our MBPs on so that it would sync to her library through home sharing and then she could sync it to her phone. Do you know how much fun that is? now I buy a song or app and boom she has it too. Now we both have a calendar that we have access to and can change things. If she makes a doctor's appointment I can see and get a reminder without both of us putting it into our phones. It's just sooooooo much easier. You just have to be careful upon setup especially if you have two different devices like us using the same Apple ID, you have to decide what stays local, what needs to be shared and you're good to go.

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it's worth just because it provides the ability to run iPads and such without owning/borrowing a home computer. This has been the chief holdback to owning an iPad for a few people I know.

What is does need is a way to pause a backup to iCloud. A full backup takes more than 8 hours, so I can't complete it overnight and while it can do it in the background, once the day starts and I'm on the move it won't have a constant wi-fi connection. Hello, Square One, nice seeing you again.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't plan on using it right now. Sticking with itunes.

iCloud isn't a complete backup, isn't exactly fast or reliable, and isn't really that more convenient than using a PC.

It basically serves to share reminders, app data, and bookmarks between devices. I use google for the rest.

KashSystems

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
People tend to forget one of the bigger picture points of Icloud. It is allowed to give users a pc free setup. If you do not have a computer, Icloud replaces the functions of having a computer for you. Imagine if your laptop died and you say, hey the ipad can suit my needs. Now with icloud you can backup your ipad without a pc, this is more about apple helping the post pc era to move along.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2