I use G mail and have gone through and updated all my contacts with as much info as I can obtain for each person/organization. Then I went on iTunes on my computer and in the info tab for my iPod and told it to sync my contacts with Google G mail. It did, and my iPod contacts now mirror my Google contacts.

My question is: Do I need to mess with Outlook on my computer or will the iCloud just use my G mail to sync my contacts on my new iPhone 4s like it happens now with the iPod?

I hate Outlook because it downloads all my email's to my computer, which I do not want and short of deleting my G mail account in it, can not stop it from downloading every time I open it up.
    10-12-2011 01:50 PM
    You kinda want Outlook to download your emails. That's what it does.

Anyways, just use google sync on your iOS devices. Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help No need to rely on icloud for that.
    chrstdvd likes this.
    10-12-2011 01:57 PM
    Thank you cardfan, I followed the instructions at the link on my iPod and set up the exchange account and then deleted all the contacts on it and did the sync. Perfect! So now I do not even have to hook the iPod to the computer and sync contacts any more. Same with the 4s once I have an exchange account on it. Thanks again.
    By the way, I never use Outlook, but I read where the iCloud uses it, someplace, and I was really trying to get 'er set up and ready to go. I do all my email work online at the mail sites. I do not want that junk on my computer.
    10-12-2011 02:30 PM
    Thank you cardfan, I followed the instructions at the link on my iPod and set up the exchange account and then deleted all the contacts on it and did the sync. Perfect! So now I do not even have to hook the iPod to the computer and sync contacts any more. Same with the 4s once I have an exchange account on it. Thanks again.
    By the way, I never use Outlook, but I read where the iCloud uses it, someplace, and I was really trying to get 'er set up and ready to go. I do all my email work online at the mail sites. I do not want that junk on my computer.
    Don't think you need outlook then. icloud control panel can use it, but you don't have to.
    10-12-2011 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD